• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Sony Handycam and AVCHD: Dumb guy looking for help from smart people.

Reaction score
I'm at my wits end to find the answer to this: I bought a Sony HDR CX-190 figuring all HD cameras were the same. Imported to iMovie, and the resulting dvd burned using Toast 11 looked ok, but not as good as viewing the card through my PS3. I was told by an Apple "expert" that iMovie does not render HD video properly. Again, iMovie did the job, just not as well as I figured it would. I was told to import using Final Cut Pro, which I did, but being a dumb guy, can't figure how to get from point A to Point D using FCP. I then joined this site, found some good info using Re-wrap, but had issues with that program, (Again, I'm a dumb guy). I have noticed that some people here know everything about everything, including the differences between different cameras. If anyone can help me out, I'd be most appreciative. Thank you in advance if anyone can help me. My cards and HD are bursting at the seams.

C

chas_m

Imported to iMovie, and the resulting dvd burned using Toast 11 looked ok, but not as good as viewing the card through my PS3.

Well of course it won't. A DVD is standard definition (720x480), whereas your HD camera (and the file on your card) are likely to be 2-4 times that resolution.

I was told by an Apple "expert" that iMovie does not render HD video properly.

If he meant that iMovie does not do an ideal job "downscaling" HD to SD, that would be true. Otherwise he's just misinformed.

If you want to save yourself a lot of hassle, buy an Apple TV and stream the movies (in HD) to your HD television. If you need to get these on standard DVDs, convert the HD files into SD "Apple Intermediate Codec" or "ProRes" files (.mov) before editing in iMovie. Then the results on the DVD will look like they do on the computer.

If you have to keep them in HD and still have them on DVDs, export the iMovie project as an HD movie and use third-party software and a Blu-ray burner to create a Blu-ray DVD (this of course will not play on standard DVD players).

OP
A
Reaction score
Thank you very much chad_m for your help. I did forget to mention that I have a blu-ray burner, so if I'm understanding this correctly, import the files into iMovie 11, edit, then export in HD to Toast and burn a blu-ray disc.

Thank you again.

Andy

C

chas_m

I lack a Blu-ray burner so I haven't tried it myself, but that is my understanding of what would work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.