Dust inside screen?

Reaction score
My Mac is over 2 years old, so maybe this is why I dunno.

But there's a noticeable on light backgrounds dust dot in the MIDDLE of the fricken screen. I can see it when the comp is off

How did it get to the middle of the screen? And how come if it got to the middle of the screen it won't move to the bottom or top so it's not as much as an annoyance?

Anyway was wondering if anyone else had problems with dust in the screen. I know some people know how to remove the screen but I do not want to try that as I'd mess it up. Could you have your comp sent to apple to fix? Has anyone tried a method that works? I've tried shaking it a little (I'm careful) to see if the dust would move but it is stuck in place. Again if it won't move now how did it ever get there in the middle to begin with?
MacBook Pro, 35 month old Macbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks! I don't have that sadly. And while I would love to fix it by myself I am to clumsy and I wouldn't want to risk breaking the screen.

I wish I knew how much apple would charge to take the screen off, get the dust off, and put back on. I don't any apple stores near me, but I do believe you can mail it to them? I dunno. Ugh I guess I can live with it, I only see it in light backgrounds.

But ugh it drives me nuts how did it get to the middle of the screen? if it got to the middle surely it should move to the bottom but it won't budge.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
I wish I knew how much apple would charge to take the screen off, get the dust off, and put back on. I don't any apple stores near me, but I do believe you can mail it to them? I dunno. Ugh I guess I can live with it, I only see it in light backgrounds.

Apple will only replace the display clamshell, it is not an Apple recognised procedure to dismantle and fix. Removing the glass is only a DIY fix.

OP
T
Reaction score
oh so I guess apple wouldn't do it anyway? DIY fix? I am so bad at understanding this sort of stuff. Is there somewhere else I could take it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
oh so I guess apple wouldn't do it anyway? DIY fix? I am so bad at understanding this sort of stuff. Is there somewhere else I could take it?

DIY, do it yourself. There are companies/individuals independent from Apple who advertise cracked glass replacement via the web. They should be able to remove, clean and replace. Quality can vary, I've seen displays were the glass has been replaced with fingerprints and dust under the glass.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB
If you have the "older" iMac its actually quite easy to remove the front glass. It is only held by magnets so it is possible to jam your fingernails (if they are strong) between the glass and the frame to remove the front glass panel.

Then you should be able to clean it.

It gathers dust fast though and you have to be careful if you are going to clean the LCD. Use some high quality microfibre cloth..

If you had lived in Norway you could have dropped your computer where I work and I could have cleaned it for you cheap! ;)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
At first I thought he was referring to an iMac, but it appears it's his MacBook Pro that has the dust between the glass and the LCD. He's probably better off having a professional do it for him.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB
Oh... I thought it was an iMac.

Then its a whole other issue yes. Probably have to replace the display assembly then.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
At first I thought he was referring to an iMac, but it appears it's his MacBook Pro that has the dust between the glass and the LCD. He's probably better off having a professional do it for him.

WOW...I was thinking the exact same thing (before reading your post Charlie)!!!...then I reread the OP's first post (that detail was at the very end of the post).

I don't think I can remember anyone having issues with dust on the inside of a MacBook Pro display.

I just checked the iFixit.com procedure...and the display glass is held in with adhesive (need to use a hair dryer blowing hot air to remove the glass)...I'm not sure I would want to do this...Step 15 of the procedure below:

Installing MacBook Pro 13" Unibody Mid 2009 LCD - Page 2 - iFixit

With the display glass held in with adhesive...I'm really not sure how dust would get behind the glass. Unless the dust got in there from the factory before the display panel was completely assembled.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Actually Nick if you read his post a couple of times, it looks like he's got a dead pixel or maybe more in the middle of his screen. He's probably mistaking it for dust. I agree with you that it's near impossible for dust to get between the glass and LCD especially since the glass is glued on.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Actually Nick if you read his post a couple of times, it looks like he's got a dead pixel or maybe more in the middle of his screen. He's probably mistaking it for dust.

Yes agreed. A dead pixel would make much much more sense...and probably more common than dust!

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
I'm not sadly. When the computer is off and I turn on a flashlight I can see a dust dot stuck inside the screen. I think it's there for good, though it's beyond me how it reached the middle of the screen in the first place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
My son has a little dust under the glass of his Alu MacBook. No idea how it's got there with the way the display is put together

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.