High Contrast Display Problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP: 2.53GHz Intel Core 2, 4GB DDR3, OS 10.6.8
Hey guys. I'm having an issue with screen contrast.

I work in finance, about 70 hours/week, and about 68.379 of those hours are spent staring at Access and Excel. I need a high contrast screen, and the only option I know of for Mac is pretty inefficient. Control+Option+Command+8 basically just inverts black and white, and ruins all images.

I know that In Windows there is a high contrast option that retains the display of application icons, menu buttons and pictures. Does Macintosh not have this ability? If not, does anyone know of any good third-party software??

Thanks guys, cheers.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I work in finance, about 70 hours/week, and about 68.379 of those hours are spent staring at Access and Excel.

I don't have a solution for you...but it figures that a "Finance Person" would know that they use Access & Excel 68.379 hours/week!;)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, your Mac has an adjustment for contrast. Which version of OS X are you using? In Mountain Lion, System Preferences, Accessibility, there is a slider to increase Contrast from "Normal" to "Maximum".

OP
y0itsj0hn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP: 2.53GHz Intel Core 2, 4GB DDR3, OS 10.6.8
I don't have a solution for you...but it figures that a "Finance Person" would know that they use Access & Excel 68.379 hours/week!;)

- Nick
Haha, well that was a bit of a facetious estimate, but honestly I do spend easily over 60 hrs/wk staring at spreadsheet cells and lines of code... the strain on my eyes is to that of average eyes as a taxi cab is to an average car.

Yes, your Mac has an adjustment for contrast. Which version of OS X are you using? In Mountain Lion, System Preferences, Accessibility, there is a slider to increase Contrast from "Normal" to "Maximum".

There is - I'm assuming - the same slider in 10.6 at System Preferences>Universal Access, but this makes little difference and definitely does not do what I was looking for.

I want black screens, yellow (or white) text, and visible images and icons. You can do this in Windows (and certain Linux distros) but I can't figure out if Mac can do it or not. The "White on Black" option in Universal Access just simply inverts colors, making all images nearly impossible to interpret.

Edit: System Preferences>Universal Access>Display is the same as the Control+Option+Command+8 key combo I mentioned in the OP

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Haha, well that was a bit of a facetious estimate...

I figured that!;) Anyone that actually knows (to the 3rd decimal place) how much time they spend doing a specific activity each week...has MUCH bigger issues!!!;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.