iTunes

Reaction score
Hi

Weird request, but I need to move a couple dozen playlists from my husband's iPod to my own iPod to use at his memorial service next week. With my limited knowledge of iTunes I've tried what I think are the obvious ways of doing this, but nothing has worked. Can anyone please help me figure out how to either move them from one device to a playlist or into my library so I can move them onto my device. Or is this just not possible? Have quite enough upsetting me at the moment without having Apple's hilarious obstructive idiocy getting in the way...

And sorry if this is the wrong forum

Thank you

Reaction score
I think I can help if all you want to do is make a copy of the play list. The list itself can be copied and moved because it's just a list - it's not the actual music. But what I think you're really asking is to find a way to create a copy of the music itself which is played when the play list is selected. Copying the music is illegal so I can't help you there. Sorry.

If you're using iTunes 11.0, do the following to copy the play list itself (again, not the music, just the list):

Select the Play List of interest by a single clicking on the name of the playlist on the left side of your screen

Then go to File (click File)

Put your cursor over the word Library and another menu will appear.

Click on Export Playlist

Next, select a location where you will be exporting the play list so you can find it again when you're ready to do something with the list like import it into another computer

Hit enter

Your play list has now been exported so you can grab a copy of the file you've just exported, and take it to another location so you can import that play list back into iTunes.

C

chas_m

Sorry to hear of your husband's passing.

I believe turning on Home Sharing and authorizing your computer (yes, I know, you want it on the iPod) will allow you to do what you are wanting to do.

Reaction score
Oh dear - I completely missed what you stated about your husband's memorial service. I'm so sorry to have appeared to be insensitive to your loss. My heartfelt sympathies to you and your family during this difficult time.

I hadn't thought of the Home Sharing option and apologize I forgot about it but that would work well.

Again, I feel so badly I missed your comment about your husband's memorial service. Peace be with you.

Sue

OP
T
Reaction score
Hi. Thanks for the messages. I tried Home Sharing and it still didn't work so that's when I gave up and went to bed, rather than lob the monitor out the window as was so tempting :) I think I'm just going to export the list and reload another iPod with the tunes - s'kinda the long way round but probably easier than going mad. Appreciate everyone's time and kindness.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.