flashing folder with question mark on startup.

Reaction score
hi my 2007 imac will only show a folder icon with a question mark when i start it up. i cant get off this screen. can someone help me to fix this? and if i bought another copy of mountain lion would this fix the problem. thanks.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Threads merged - please don't post the same question multiple times.

A question mark icon means that you don't have OS X installed. What were you doing right before this happening?

What version of OS X was on there? Do you have your data all backed up? If you had Mountain Lion installed on there, you could try getting into the recovery console with CMD+r during booting and then download ML and install it..

OP
B
Reaction score
i had mountain lion on it. i dont really care about the data that is on it. i think i was just on the internet when it happened but im not sure. i tried command r but it still went to the same screen. could i buy snow leopard and try installing it?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If things just went kaput without you doing anything interesting, it might be foreshadowing a pending demise of your hard drive..

If you can't get into the recovery console (since the HD is entirely empty) then you can go the Snow Leopard route or if you have a friend with a Mac, you can download ML on their machine and make a USB flash drive installer from it and then use it to re-install..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
It also means that thecomputer can't find the startup disc. Try powering on with the Alt key held down. It should eventually show a screen known discs. If it shows your MacHD choose it, and continue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.