Performed "verify" and "repair" on external...need help...

Reaction score
Well I was stupid and screwed something up. I was trying to back up some important files on my external HDD and I did not have enough space. So I decided to delete some old files but I noticed that the HDD space was not recovering even after deleting. I tried to figure a solution to this problem by going into disk utility and performed "verify" and "repair" on my external. Now I can not access any of my files that I have on the HDD. Opening my external in Finder shows an empty hard drive with the same capacity I had before performing those actions. Is there any way to revert what I have done? Or just a way to access my files to back them up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
It sounds as though the disk or enclosure controller is failing.

Do you have another machine you can connect it to? (just to see is the behaviour is consistent)

OP
O
Reaction score
I had plugged in the external into 2 different macbooks and both saw it the same way. I had even tried a windows computer which just threw out an error and wouldn't open. The drive was working perfectly fine before I did this though. I can try and reformat the drive completely; But I would like to save my data first if possible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I'm sorry to say it sounds I though I was right. Your next move, I'd suggest, is to take the disk out of the enclosure and try it in a new one

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
No, he's saying take the disk drive out and try it in another external drive enclosure first, before concluding anything about your data being gone.

OP
O
Reaction score
I understand that. But my external drive is not a normal HDD in a HDD enclosure. It is a portable HDD as I linked above, so changing enclosures is not really an option. Unless I am totally missing something here...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your Seagate GoFlex drive is just like any other external hard drive enclosed in a case. Just remove the case and expose the drive. Once the drive is removed, try it with another case (enclosure) or use an adapter. Of course that voids your warranty with Seagate - so if you just want another drive to replace that one, contact Seagate and ask for a RMA. However, your data will be lost.

Alternatively, you can try Disk Warrior to recover your data. However, Disk Warrior is expensive - so it's up to you.

OP
O
Reaction score
Well oddly enough I got everything working. I decided to try and repair the drive again in disk utility which caused everything to back to normal. I don't know exactly why it did what it did. But I backed up all my stuff onto a second drive to be safe. :D Thanks for the input guys!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm pleased you got it working. Thanks for posting back.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.