Work laptop is wifi nuke

Reaction score
I have a fairly recent macbook pro (osx 10.8.3), and ever since I brought it into my house it has been causing wifi problems. Just by being connected, it cuts the download speed of every computer in the house from around 11 to around 3 mb/s. I've monitored its connection through activity monitor, and there are no abnormal upload or download behaviors. Just by being connected it shuts down the wifi. It doesn't even hog it, it just kills it.

Any ideas as to what may be causing it?

There is some backup software and while it does cause upload and download spikes the problems persist every second between its backup (a 6 hour interval).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Can't really offer you much help without some more information. How many devices do you have at home that are connecting to your WiFi? And, assuming you're using a router, how about telling us which one you have and how old is it?

Also, what happens when you disconnect everything else and just run your new MacBook Pro off the WiFi? What kind of speed are you getting that way?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Also do you get the same results if you connect it by ethernet and disable wifi on the MBP

C

chas_m

It sounds as if ... somehow ... the work notebook's Airport card is set at 802.11b speed, and thus dragging your whole network down to that speed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I was thinking something similar - connecting by ethernet and disabling wifi would help determine if it's a wifi issue or a process running on the Mac that's at fault

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.