coffee baptism

Reaction score
I baptized my 2 year old MB Pro in coffee. One guy says board is bad. If I spend the $300+ on a board other problems may be revealed. Mac Authority wants Just North of $1,000 for depot repair option which means all new replacement parts, with 90 day warranty. Or I could go the Mac Air route 11" and spend less $. Any suggestions? :(

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Most authorized Apple places usually quote 750+ for a Logic Board replacement..other people may do it for cheaper..but at $1000, that's a large chunk of a new Macbook (Air or Pro)..

Depending on the level of immersion of coffee, the logic board replacement might work but lead to other things like sticky keys and so on and require replacement of those as well...and agreed that unlike water, coffee could have longer effects that aren't easily resolved either..

If the Macbook Air is a good fit for what you want to do, then that might be a good route. You could part out the parts of the MBP that are in good shape to get back from money..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Generally speaking...a notebook computer that has had liquid spilled on it...and the logic board has been damaged...spells time to start shopping for a new computer.

The older the computer...the more this "rule of thumb" applies.

So a 2 year-old MBP (13", 15", 17"...???)...is worth maybe $800-$1000 (depending on the model). New logic board = $500-$700...plus possible other parts (battery, keyboard, DC in board, speakers, airport card, bluetooth card, super drive, etc.).

You can see how the repairs sometimes can cost almost the total value of the computer (if it was working 100%).

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Go the new machine route. Save money in the long run. You can advertise your current machine as not working on eBay etc.

By the way ~ keep all liquids away.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.