Merging folders with duplicate names

Reaction score
On windows and linux, when you move a folder into a directory with a folder of the same name, you are offered the option of merging the folders. For Mac I only get 'would you like to replace them'. How can I merge them?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Which version of OSX are you using? I'm still using 10.5.8 so I cannot do what you want to do, but I thought I read that it can be done using newer versions, possibly Lion or Mountain Lion.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't have a Windows machine to try that on at the moment.... but from memory and if I'm reading your post correctly, Windows reacts in the same way as does Mac OS X. That's using the Windows file explorer and not a third party file manager.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I thought there was a way to do this directly in OS X but can't seem to trigger it at the moment. If you are comfortable with Terminal check this page for some ideas.

Somehow part of this post was missing. Other possibilities are ChronoSynch and some versions of MacPilot though the current one requires 10.6. I have also seen a post suggesting FileMerge if you have the Developer Tools installed.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
To stick with the GUI, try Folder Merge or Unison or from the command line try:

Code:
[URL="http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man1/ditto.1.html"]ditto[/URL] from_folder destination_folder

C

chas_m

I believe the "folder merge" option was added to OS X around 10.6 or so. It would not exist in version 10.5.8.

If you have an Intel Mac there, you *really* should have upgraded that to 10.6 *years* ago for a huge variety of reasons. I would *strongly* recommend you do so soon before Apple stops selling 10.6 for $20 as they do now -- they will not continue that offer indefinitely.

If you're on a PPC Mac, I'd strongly suggest you start saving up for a newer Intel Mac (I recommend circa 2009 or later) ASAP. The writing is on the wall, has been for some time, train leaving station and all that. You're risking losing access to your archaic files if you don't stay aware of standards and make sure your files adhere to one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep I'm using mac 10.5.8

Ok then, you cannot merge folders. It will overwrite the target folder's contents, just as it says it will. Heed the warning!!

I continue to happily use 10.5.8 and see no reason to update it. However, my Mac is getting old (2007) and I'll eventually replace it, thus updating to the latest version of OSX. Now, if Apple decides to dump OSX for something entirely new, I'll have to rush to the store before Macs that will run 10.9(?) are sold out.

C

chas_m

As they have very strongly marketed Mavericks as a new beginning for OS X, doesn't seem like it's going anywhere for a while.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your post is the first time I've seen that name, but I found it just now as a news release. There are a couple more big cat names they could have used...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your post is the first time I've seen that name,

You need to get out more often! It was first reported in our rumors forum right after the announcement by Apple. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I believe the "folder merge" option was added to OS X around 10.6 or so.

It's not in 10.8.4 (I've just tried). Has it been removed?

C

chas_m

Sorry, entirely my fault, I forgot to mention the magic ingredient.

You need to hold the OPTION KEY down when moving folder A to the same place as folder B, both of which have the same name. THEN you will get the option to merge the two folders into one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You need to get out more often! It was first reported in our rumors forum right after the announcement by Apple. ;)

Well, obviously, I don't read that forum. I also don't read any techie magazines. So, of course it hasn't been on the TV network news that I watch, so it was new to me! But you don't give a date, even an approximate one.

C

chas_m

A date for what?

OS X Mavericks was announced on June 10th.

It is in beta now (for developers only) and is expected to come out "in the fall" (ie no set date yet).

C

chas_m

Glad to help.

The short version of why its called that is that OS X 10.9 is considered by the company a kind of summary of where OS X has come, and that it's now the platform they will build on for the next 10 years. Thus a whole new naming scheme for this new beginning, this time based on California place names. Mavericks is a popular surfing mecca.

So no more big cats. Sorry Ocelot.

Here's Apple's page on Mavericks:
http://www.apple.com/osx/preview/

But I'd recommend watching the entire keynote, it's all really good:
http://www.apple.com/osx/preview/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
One wonders then if we continue down the OS X path, up to OS X.XX ?? or at some stage they will go to OS XI ….. They will always keep us guessing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One wonders then if we continue down the OS X path, up to OS X.XX ??

Same problem Boeing has... There's only one number left. That is, unless you're creative like the kid of our tour guide. "No problem Dad, they can call it the seven ten seven." Genius!

C

chas_m

Given that they've gotten (will get) 14 years out of OS X ... they may will change it to OS XI in 2014/2015, who can say. They may decide to go with 10.10, 10.11 and so forth OTOH. Or come up with something new for the overall name of the OS altogether.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.