• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

AppleCare name change...

Reaction score
Hi...

I'm buying a friend's MacBook Pro, which has the three year extended warranty...my question is am I able to utilize the same warranty after it changes hands?...and is it possible to change the name on the warranty to mine?...

Thank you...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
I'm buying a friend's MacBook Pro...am I able to utilize the same warranty after it changes hands?
Well, if they're a friend you don't expect to suddenly become not friends with, and you're buying it cash-in-hand (both of which I assume are true); then why not just get your friend to send it to Apple on your behalf if it ever needs repair?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi...

I'm buying a friend's MacBook Pro, which has the three year extended warranty...my question is am I able to utilize the same warranty after it changes hands?...and is it possible to change the name on the warranty to mine?...

Thank you...

Applecare warranty's are tracked by the computers serial number. Therefore...whomever is the current owner of the computer is the beneficiary of the Applecare warranty. No paperwork needs to be completed...no names need to be changed.

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Applecare warranty's are tracked by the computers serial number. Therefore...whomever is the current owner of the computer is the beneficiary of the Applecare warranty. No paperwork needs to be completed...no names need to be changed.

- Nick

But, the name can be changed - once. The original owner has to mail Apple the new owner's info.

Look at the faq's for Applecare on the Apple site for your country.
The TOS will list the appropriate address and what info needs to be sent.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Went through this quite a few years ago with no problem. I think we were asked to have a copy of the original receipt though that may no longer be needed.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Went through this quite a few years ago with no problem. I think we were asked to have a copy of the original receipt though that may no longer be needed.

I don't know if the original receipt is required, but always get a legal receipt when buying a used Mac (if possible). Since only Apple (or an authorized Apple service center) are the only ones who can remove a firmware password (on newer Macs) you need to keep your receipt in order to prove ownership of the machine.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I checked recently when this came up either in this forum or somewhere else. Usually you are not asked for the receipt to prove that AppleCare is in force. Apple can check that rather easily in most cases.

Good point about the firmware password. I had not thought of that. We needed to demonstrate that the original warranty was in effect to get a logic board replaced. We had no real problems. If their had been an issue the previous owner was more than happy to provide documentation.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But, the name can be changed - once. The original owner has to mail Apple the new owner's info.

As you know I am a big fan of purchasing used computers.:) I would say over the last 5 years I have purchased at least 7-10 used computers (all of them newer models at the time of purchase).

Of those 7-10...probably about 4 of them still had Applecare on them. And of those 4...I probably took 3 of them in for Applecare warranty covered issues (sometimes for minor things...sometimes for a major issue that I knew of when I purchased the computer...and only purchased the computer due to the active Applecare).

Whenever this happens (and I take the computer in for repair)...the Apple employee looks up the computers history via it's serial number...to verify active Applecare coverage. The computers history does include the previous owner's names (one or more)...but the actual previous owner(s) names, address's, phone #'s really mean next to nothing...other than simply as contact info to contact the current owner that the repairs are completed & the computer is ready for pickup.

Sometimes I'm the 2nd owner, sometimes the 3rd owner...rarely am I the 4th owner...and there is still active Applecare.

The only thing Apple cares about (when it comes to Applecare)...is the serial number of the computer. The only reason the current owners contact info is important is...just so Apple knows who to contact when repairs are completed.

My most current example. I purchased a used Early 2011 13" MacBook Pro about 2 weeks ago. It has Applecare thru September, 2014...thus someone along the way purchased extended Applecare on it (3 years Applecare). I got very lucky with this one!:)

I took it in for a battery issue...and all they needed (the first thing they asked for)...what is the serial number (to verify its current warranty status). They then pulled up the computers history...they asked me if I was "Mr. Blah Blah Blah"...and I said no...then they proceeded to ask & enter my contact info for the repair.

End of the day...the serial number is all that matters. That's why when I'm thinking of purchasing a newer used computer...and if it potentially still has Applecare coverage remaining (or claimed by the seller)...I use the serial number & Apple's website...to verify Applecare coverage before buying::)

https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

- Nick

p.s. All of this info & my experience is based on how thing work in the United States. Other countries Applecare procedures may differ.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Get your friend to download the change of ownership from Apple, transfer to your name including your email address and it will be fine.

OP
P
Reaction score
Again, thanks to each of you for helping me out here...the MacBook was purchased in Australia and I'm in Thailand, so we'll see (should the situation arise)...

All the best...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Again, thanks to each of you for helping me out here...the MacBook was purchased in Australia and I'm in Thailand, so we'll see (should the situation arise)...

"Fingers Crossed" you will never need the Applecare!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well suggest that will be a no go.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.