Uses For Old Powermac G3 B&W?

Reaction score
Hello, I recently got hold of a free g3 and an emac. Does anyone have a good use for the g3 besides a media server or kid's computer? Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hello, I recently got hold of a free g3 and an emac. Does anyone have a good use for the g3 besides a media server or kid's computer? Thanks!

Doorstop!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Kellick for both.

Do get into trouble sometimes for suggesting this especially from my K1W1 mate hughvane.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
More seriously....the best purpose for an old B&W G3 would be for running older software that newer software cannot run.

Since we're talking computers from 1997-1999...software from that era is what I'm talking about. These things came preinstalled with "Classic" Mac OS 8...and depending on the exact model...max out with either Mac OS 10.2.8 thru 10.4.

These things don't even support Airport...so you would definitely have to use an ethernet cable for internet use.

So I would say as far as uses:

- run much older software (if you have any)
- a dual-boot Mac OS 9 & Mac OS X
- a big large MP3 player
- a picture viewer for photos
- a unit you could setup near your kitchen to check e-mails & look up cooking recipes online.
- install alternative OS's (Linux, etc.)

But even internet use is going to be painfully slow due to the limitations of:

- the slower G3 logic board design
- cpu speed
- amount of ram
- much older graphics hardware
- and you need an ethernet cable wherever you put it

* Nick

OP
I
Reaction score
Thanks pigoo3! Do you think I'd get any sort of speed boost from installing something like chromium? Maybe I should just get a Raspberry Pi...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks pigoo3! Do you think I'd get any sort of speed boost from installing something like chromium?

What's "chromium"? Do you mean the internet browser "Chrome"?

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And no speed boost at all sadly. CPU, system bus speed etc are all dinosaur era.

Reaction score
You can run some 3rd world island country with it... no problem. I still have some graphics apps on mine that still work in this age. A postscript file has not changed at commercial printers.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can run some 3rd world island country with it... no problem. I still have some graphics apps on mine that still work in this age. A postscript file has not changed at commercial printers.

This is one of the best options I can think of for an old B&W Powermac. If someone has some 8-10+ year-old software...it will run fine on that old computer.:)

But if the average someone "spontaneously" comes across one of these old computers...I'm thinking they won't have old software. Then the options for this old of a computer get slim.

Even most of the old iMac G3's supported Airport...so the benefit of wireless is a bonus over the B&W Powermac G3.:)

- Nick

C

chas_m

And you can get an Android distro of a web browser for Chrome OS working on a B&W G3 ... how exactly?

Reaction score
i used my old G3 to add weight to one of my trash cans, kept it from blowing over that week. worked pretty good. i had upgraded to a G4 many years ago, wont be using it for a trash can weight, but have upgraded to a macpro, still the G4 is a pretty good machine and worth keeping, byt the G3 well not really good for much.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.