I Need Advice on Laptops (Air vs Pro)!!

Reaction score
Hello, I am about to go into college next year to study medicine and I can see using my laptop for a lot of documents, presentations, movies and a whole lot of Netflix streaming. So this is my question; which will work best for me? I am about to either buy a MacBook Air or a MacBook Pro RETINA. From my future standpoint of busy work on Microsoft Word, Power Points, and an abnormal amount of video streaming, which one of these do you suggest will work best for me? HERE IS THE BIG QUESTION...

WHICH one of these would have a longer life span? This includes normal use of this computer. As in lifespan I also mean which will begin to slow down and become hesitant first?

These are my two options...

1. MacBook Pro RETINA 13-inch
2.5 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.1 GHz (Base Model)
8GB RAM
128GB Flash Storage (BASE MODEL)

OR

2. MacBook Air 13-inch
1.7 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.3 GHz
8 GB RAM
128GB Flash Storage (MOST UPDATED)

So essentially two questions.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Based on your usecase, the MBA is probably a better (and cheaper) fit since nothing you are doing is going to require a ton of CPU power..

Additionally with the longer battery life of the MBA, you can go a full day at school without needing to charge..

You might want to look into a portable external storage to keep all of your documents though as opposed to filling up the onboard storage..

If you don't want to lug around an external HD, then you can use the SDXC slot and find the biggest SD card you afford and use that for storage..

C

chas_m

I would add that you *might* be able to get by on the 128GB storage but really I'd strongly suggest taking a hard look at the 256GB option.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have to agree with chas. Nowadays, 128 GB is really not enough room for adequate usage. Of course that depends on your personal needs, but with only 128 GB the drive may begin to fill up to the point where it will slow down. Go for at least 256 GB or more if you have the $$$.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.