ms word 2011 undo arrows?

Reaction score
I have an older 2008 macbook pro, after upgrading to an ssd and memory, I had to reinstall MS Word. Since then the "undo" "redo" arrows do not work? OR the shortcuts for that function. (command Z OR control Z) o.k... I wish I was savvy enough to take a pic, but I'll try and explain...At the top left, JUST below the colored dots. red yellow green, the icons start. from left to right it goes.. first one looks like a PAGE and when I put my cursor over it, it says "Create new word document". OK next one says " new from template" and think it is o.k.? now... the NEXT one is a vertical line. when hovering on it it reads: "open a document" Is THIS o.k.? NEXT is the scissors... when hovering it reads:' Save this document" Now THIS doesn't seem right to me? Shouldn't it be a "cut" function? then the PRINT one.. seems ok... then the ALWAYS GREYED OUT ARROW that I think should be my undo right? I also cannot use a keyboard shortcut for that. Just need to always either delete backwards or go to edit, then cut or something like that and as you know, that undo is nice. any ideas?
dan

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your "normal template" is probably corrupt. This happens on occasion when reinstalling Office 2008 and 2011. You didn't tell us which version of OS X you're using or which version of Office? Post back with that information and then I can show you how to remove the old normal template and create a new one which should then have the correct toolbar icons.

OP
S
Reaction score
thought I'd never get back!!

been hectic. but FINALLY!

You didn't tell us which version of OS X you're using or which version of Office?

OSX 10.8.4

Version: 14.1.0

Latest update:14.2.4

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First, the latest update to Office 2011 and Word is 14.3.5 so you're considerably behind your updates. But that can wait.

In order to remove the old normal template you first need to make your user library visible as it is hidden by default. We could use the "go" feature of Finder but it's easier when the entire library is visible. Do this:

Open your terminal: Applications, Utilities, terminal.app. Type the following in the terminal and then press enter:

chflags nohidden ~/Library/

Now type "exit" to close the terminal.

Make sure you have closed all your Office 2011 applications and closed all documents.

Open your Finder and navigate to:

/Users/you/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office/User Templates/Normal.dotm

Rename the Normal.dotm file to Normal.bak

Exit the Finder and start Word. Word will create a new Normal.dotm file with the default icons. Let's see if that resolves the problem. If it doesn't, shut down Word and remove the new Normal.dotm and replace it with the old one after renaming it back to its original name.

OP
S
Reaction score
weird

Thoght I could handle it, but guess I am pretty computer illiterate!

I got all the way to where you said to navigate through Finder, .. I cannot find Users in there? What's weird is when I type library in the Help section.. It prompts me to go to "go" then down to library.. just below " home" and before "computer".. it doesn't exist on my copy...(?)

OP
S
Reaction score
o.k. I did it all.. I tried that fix like you reccomended, was not SURE, so I even rebooted my mac, to see again, before I removed the new dot.m and changed old bak back to dotm. what do ya think next? I appreciate the help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You've got me confused..... you went through the steps I gave you above and it didn't help? If that's so, did you remove the new normal.dotm and replace it with the old one after renaming it back again to its original?

OP
S
Reaction score
sorry, I have been told that before! I guess I don't communicate well! anyway.. I did just what you said.. checked it all.. the "undo" button was still greyed out the whole time... I then rebooted.. to see if THAT made a dif.. NOT.. then I did as you said and put it all back like it was before I began your instructions.. dan

OP
S
Reaction score
well.. I decided to update that newest version while I was home today. ( hoping I wouldn't mess UP what we were doin) and guess what? I think it worked! I now have the " undo "buttons anyway.. I JUST did this so we'll see after I try a few docs etc.. but one thing I already notice is the "undo" takes off SENTENCES, kind of sporadically.. Like I really don't know how much it is going to delete till I see the results? Is this a USER error? (me)! Shouldn't it take off the last KEYSTROKE only?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.