Mac Pro won't boot after Restart

Reaction score
I have a Mac Pro 2,1 (late 2007) running OS 10.6.8. I recently did two attempted upgrades:

1. I Installed another 16GB of RAM on top of the 16 I already have. It was fully compatible, installed as advised by Apple). But I was getting Kernel panics so the RAM sellers said it was probably just a bad chip, and so are replacing it.

2. I tried installing a second nVidia Quadro 4500 x2 video card (so i could have 4 displays). It wasn't detected, and I soon realized that it was the PC Firware version! (I didn't plug in a power supply like one is supposed to for the Mac version!). After taking the nVidia out I've been having the following problem and I'm afraid this card could have affected my motherboard:

When I select "Restart" from the Apple menu, the computer fails to re-boot. It makes a small whirring noise, but will not restart. I have to hold down the power button, then Start Up manually. If I go Apple menu -- "Shut Down" - then it shuts down ok. But I can only re-boot the computer using the button.

Beyond a mere annoyance, I'm afraid this issue is symptomatic of a deeper problem with my computer.

I already (I believe) reset my PRAM and also did a complete power-down reboot.

I also have a MOTU PCI 424e card installed, and has been working fine for years. When I tried putting in the new video card I briefly took out the 424 to make the installation easier, then replaced it. Not certain if replaced it in the same slot (or if this matters, since the sound card is a x2 card), although both my original nVidia Video card and the Soundcard are working fine. Just thought I'd mention these also.

Please help!!

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Don't get too panicky until the memory modules arrive. When you removed the new 16GB are you able to boot at all other than as you describe? Have you tried an SMC reset by powering down, unplugging from the mains and leaving it for ten minutes or so, reconnecting and booting up again? This link ius for the Mac version of the FX4500 and you can see it has the power supply cable included. If there were troubles using the PC card, an SMC reset may work.

Good news it restarts! Try booting without the PCIE card.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Intel-Mac-Pro-nVidia-Quadro-FX-4500-512MB-Video-Card-/280506541905

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.