SSD Upgrade on MBP 15" Retina

Reaction score
I've had my MBP 15" Retina since May 3, and I'm already thinking I might need more HD space. My iTunes library is 51GB, and I have a 40GB Windows 7 Boot Camp partition (for many programs I still use that are Windows-only, such as MIDI control and music synthesizer programming programs, as well as a few older games I still like to play that are Windoze-only). At the moment, I'm not short on space, but I can certainly see myself running out of space at some point in the near-future.

My questions for the Mac Forum gurus are:

1) Can an iTunes library be safely copied to an external HD and used as the default iTunes library location?

2) Can Apple upgrade (or remove and install a new, larger-capacity) the SSD drive? If so, what do they charge for this?

3) As an alternative, can an authorized Apple service center install a new SSD? Would there be a good reason to go this route over having Apple do it?

TIA for any info!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Some answers....

1. Yes, you can move your iTunes library to an external hard drive and use it as the default. Instructions are here.

2. I don't know if Apple would replace the SSD for you, however, they will replace hard drives for a fee. You would have to ask them directly what they charge for the service. Having said that, Other World Computing sells a replaceable SSD for the Retina and includes instructions. I believe you could probably do the job yourself. And no, I do not know if that would void your warranty. (Before you ask.)

3. Authorized Apple Service center - same as 2. above.

OP
jt1968
Reaction score
Some answers....

1. Yes, you can move your iTunes library to an external hard drive and use it as the default. Instructions are here.

2. I don't know if Apple would replace the SSD for you, however, they will replace hard drives for a fee. You would have to ask them directly what they charge for the service. Having said that, Other World Computing sells a replaceable SSD for the Retina and includes instructions. I believe you could probably do the job yourself. And no, I do not know if that would void your warranty. (Before you ask.)

3. Authorized Apple Service center - same as 2. above.
Chscag,

Thanks for the reply! I will try #1, and look into #2 or #3. I guess I should've paid extra for a 500 or 750GB SSD in the first place. O:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.