Second install of OSX on external HD - using trial software issue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 - i7 2600 3.4GHZ, 24GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 2GB GPU | iPad 4th gen | iPod Video 4th gen 60GB
Hello.

Before I go any further I want to state right from the get go that I'm not posting this message to ask people how to circumvent software licensing and the limits of trial software.

Here's my situation. I have been a dabbler in computers and electronics for ages. It recently occurred to me that it might be interesting to have secondary installations of OSX on an external HD. I set it up a few months ago. I booted into this second edition of Mountain Lion only to see that it had worked. It did.

Recently I have checked out some trial software. Unfortunately one trial ran out (which I'll call "A"), after the 30 day period, and I was bummed because I neglected to check a few of the deeper corners of the software. It dawned on me that it'd be possible to install the trial again on this external OSX install. So I did. I got another 30 day trial of "A."

My question is related to installing a second trial software which I'll call "B." This software coincidentally works in conjunction with "A" but can run on its own.

When I started up "A" I was greeted with the usual set up questions and a blank slate that stated I was using a "30 day trial" version of the software. When I launched "B" however the notification said I had "16 days left." I was surprised by this, as it seems that remembering when I first installed it on my iMac, I would be about two weeks into a month-long trial. I expected it as well to state it was starting a 30-day trial.

My question is how the software detects it is on the same machine. Is there something I can disable - like associating my new OSX install with my Apple account? Maybe this software is more sophisticated and recognizes me not from hardware but from some other account?

I'm not looking to keep running trial software indefinitely, but I want "B" to work alongside "A" as I may need it, over the next 30 days while I continue evaluating.

Thanks for any advice on this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
A program like app cleaner should be able to completely clean an installation for an app. Try installing the software again or restoring it from Time machine and uninstall it more thoroughly

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 - i7 2600 3.4GHZ, 24GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 2GB GPU | iPad 4th gen | iPod Video 4th gen 60GB
I'm not sure what you're recommending will help me. I'm trying to figure out why one piece of software on a brand new and different installation of OSX on a different drive would decided that it is "in current trial mode" with "16 days left" while another piece of software does what I'd expect and say "you have 30 days." Isn't a secondary installation of OSX on an external HD akin to installing on a different machine? In every other regard it is - default everything. But this one program says "I'm already here." Weird.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To be clear - I am running a completely different install - I have two OSX mountain lion installs concurrently. One is on the HD of my iMac while the new one is on an external hard drive which is why I called it a "second install." Why should any software on the second version react as though it is currently installed when everything else is completely fresh?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I was trying to get you to completely uninstall the apps for a fresh trial, since I have no idea where the hidden file would be that is disabling you from running a second trial

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Right. Ok. I get it. Thanks for the suggestion. It might help. I really don't get how this program could be "talking" to the other install though. I guess if this were an experiment then I've learned something. Cheers.

C

chas_m

The reason you got the message you did is that the software communicates with the home server for the company that makes it, and probably uses your computer's MAC address or your IP to note when the trial started.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey, now that makes some sense. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
Or stop trying to hack a trial....Your initial post states your not trying to circumvent the software...and your last post states...your trying to circumvent the software...

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you to everyone who contributed some thought to this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.