Attempting to download Mountain Lion (poor internet)

Reaction score
I am only upgrading to Mountain Lion because I recently upgraded to Adobe Creative Cloud (and ONLY for LightRoom 5....grrr...but that's a whole other story), and I just found out that LR5 is not even compatible with 10.6 :Angry-Tongue:

So.....for LR5 to even download (won't even let me download it, nevertheless install it, until I have 10.7 or 10.8), I need to upgrade.

I've purchased the upgrade from the App store and started the download....and then saw the size of 4.4 GB. :p

I have EXTREMELY poor internet service here. I have satellite, and they limit me to 250MB per DAY. Obviously that wasn't going to work.

I disconnected my satellite internet and opened the HotSpot on my phone and am connected that way (my only other option). It has been going for about 90 minutes thus far, and I have 158 MB of 4.44 GB downloaded. It says there is anywhere from 1 day 3 hours to 21 days 5 hours left!!!!!!!!!

Is there not another way for me to get this upgrade? I don't live anywhere near an Apple store, but I don't see where you can purchase an actual CD of it.

Ugh! Help!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
First off just so you know, Apple as well as many other are going all Digital Downloads and Mountain Lion is not available any other way but Download.

It sounds like you are in a pickle! Why 250MB a day? I use that in 1 hour here! I guess your best bet is go with the Hotspot and keep it going. Do you have any friends with better internet? Only other thing I can think of.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Head out for a local McDonald's, bookstore, or other location with free internet available.

Reaction score
Head out for a local McDonald's, bookstore, or other location with free internet available.

Download speeds at such places will vary, and can be very slow if a lot of people are on the network.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agree completely. Starbucks in fact for an example is probably a lot slower than your hot spot or very similar from my experience. Never tried a McDees but here in town our Safeway market has some VERY fast cable internet! I was sitting in the car one night while a friend shopped and had my iphone and was amazed. I ran Speedtest.net and it was 2-3x faster than the fast DSL I had at home. Very rare for a store to be that fast.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Our Safeway store here (Tom Thumb - owned by Safeway) also has very fast WiFi. Not as fast as my FIOS connection here at home but much faster than Starbucks.

C

chas_m

Even if the local library/coffee shop/McDonald's/etc has "slow" wi-fi, it's bound to be faster than 250MB PER DAY. I don't know where you live, but they have better service than that in the Yukon for heaven's sake. Again, I don't know what your options are, but if you plan on routinely using the Internet in the future a move closer to the city or investigating what other options may exist sounds like it would be to your long-term economic advantage! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.