Can't open files on mapped Win 7 volume from Mac OS X

Reaction score
I have a Mac Pro running OS X 10.8.4. It’s networked to a Win 7 machine. I can map the Mac to my Windows box and access files on the Mac from Windows. The machines connect through an unmanaged switch and employ 10-dot IPs. No router. They are in the same workgroup with the same user and password on each. Firewalls are disabled. I am an Admin on both units. So, why can’t I open, copy, delete, etc., any file that I try to access on the Win 7 machine from the Mac? For example, if I try to view a plain text file, Mac says that it cannot be opened. If I try to copy the file to the Mac desktop, Mac says that I don’t have permission (I do, at least in Windows). Everything is fine on my Windows machines network.

To map the PC from the Mac, I use Go\Connect to Server and enter smb://10.10.10.11/M, which is a shared volume. I log in as ccu, which has full control over all objects on M:\. From the Mac, I can open the PC’s folders and view their contents, but that’s as far as I can go. On the Mac, file sharing is enabled.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Go to the folder on Windows 7 that you want to share. Right-click - Properties - Sharing tab - Advanced sharing. Tick to share folder - Permissions - Add

Add a user called 'Everyone' (no quotes) give it read and or Change permissions.

In the Network and sharing centre:
Turn On network discovery
Turn on file and printer sharing
Turn off password protected sharing (just temporarily til you get up and running)

Save changes. Reboot. Try again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
If you changed all of that I'd say its a routing problem. I'd consider buying a cheap router

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks very much. That didn't help, unless I did something wrong. I attached a router to the switch, and set my Mac settings as in the screenshot. I can ping the router from Win7 and Mac, and I still can connect to Win 7 (10.10.0.11) from the Mac. I can copy files to Win 7, but I still can't open files on Win7 from the Mac. I also set the router's IP as the default gateway on Win7.

Screen Shot 2013-06-26 at 9.08.32 AM.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reset the router to factory settings (there's normally a little button on the back that you press with a paper clip)

Change all the settings on your Macs and PCs to use DCHP or automatic etc. do not manually configure the IP, subnet, gateway or anything like that.

Connect them all to the router ideally, if not just connect them to the switch then connect the switch to the router with a single cable.

The router, using dhcp, will allocate ip addresses to everything.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks again, but still no joy. I attached a screenshot. I left the physical connections as they were, PC+Mac-to-switch, router-to-switch.

Screen Shot 2013-06-26 at 1.52.58 PM.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's a windows permission issue. Something on you windows machine hasn't got it's permission set correctly.

Can you navigate to that m folder and do a get info so we can see the permissions your mac is seeing

OP
J
Reaction score
Thaks. Under the Sharing & Permissions, it says "you have custom access." I find that I usually can delete files on Win7 from Mac. Sometimes, when I copy a file from Mac to Win7, the copied file is 0 bytes, and Mac reports that som edata in tje file can't be written.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for all of your suggestions and help! My systems are configured as the guides indicate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So are you using password protected sharing on the Windows machine now or not?

Is the behaviour the same under both methods?

If you browse to the Windows public shared folder using the machine listed under 'Sahred' in finder rather that 'go to' and entering an IP. Can you read/write in that folder?

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks again. I am using password protected sharing now, but have tried disabling it with no change in results. I turned on public sharing in Win7 and shared the Pictures folder with Everyone. When I navigated to that folder after mapping the drive, I still could not open files.

I'm not sure what you mean by browsing in Finder instead of Go to. When I open Finder. I see what's in screenshot 1. After I map the volume, I see what's in screenshot 2. When I try to open the / folder, I receive the message in the screenshot. AFAIK, the only way to get to the Win7 share is through Go to.

Screen Shot 1.png

Screen Shot 2.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If your sharing was setup correctly you'd see all your machines and network devices automatically under Shared in Finder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is the Mac firewall off?

uncheck and re-check windows file sharing (SMB) in the sharing pane of system preferences a couple of times.
In the Network preference pane - Advanced - WINS and change the netbios name - Apply, then change it back - Apply.
reboot

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks. I think that I do see my network in the Shared group, as in the attached screenshot. I had mapped 10.10.10.11 with Go/Connect. However, I cannot access any of the files from Finder. I can't open 10.10.10.11. I must open the disk icon that's on the desktop, and then I can see each volume. In the screenshot, I mapped C: and M: on 10.10.10.11, which is CCU 11. Regarding sharing on the Mac, I attached a screenshot, as I'm unsure of what could be incorrect.

Screen Shot 2 (2).jpg

Screen Shot 3.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you're using the default settings on the router I can't understand the IP addresses you're using.

Have you tried what I put in my previous post?

OP
J
Reaction score
Yes, I had tried that and posted that it made no difference. I went back to my 10-dot IP as I use them on my other networks/machines. I think that I posted that I was able to fully access a share on a different Win7 machine. That machine has two users: ccu and CJ. If I mapped to that machine (10.10.10.101/c) as CJ, I could access everything. However, when I tried to map as ccu, my password would not be accepted.

OP
J
Reaction score
I did discover something that may make a didfference. See the screenshot. 10.10.10.100 is a Win7 virtual machine on the Win7 host. I mapped the VM, 10.10.10.100/C. In the top screen, we can see C: and a folder aaa, which is in the root of C:. Note that I can traverse C: and see all of the folders. Most impoprtantly, I can access and view all files. I also mapped the host Win7 system, as 10.10.10.10\C. Now, see the bottom where where 10.10.10.10 is highlighted. Note that the root / is the only object displayed. When this happens, the problem presents. Same thing happens regardless of the folder or volume that I select on 10.10.10.10. Windows permissions and the like are the same on the host and VM.

Snap0051.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, but with so many users and now VMs it's quite difficult to work out where your at from a remote diagnosis point of view.
I'm struggling to understand the full issue you're having, I can see shared machines in you're Finder screenshots yet you connect via IP to the same? different? machines, to specific folders without knowing if you're able to get to the common shared folders on those machines? VMs?

That you can access some Windows shares and not others under various circumstances, I'd suggest you Mac settings are OK.

I still maintain the best method is to strip back to basics, removing password sharing, disable firewalls, deal with a single, new user and build from there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.