iPhoto won't let me choose music when I create a slideshow

Reaction score
I've created slideshows in the past and know how to add music to them, however now iPhoto won't let me use the pull-down menue to select tracks. Here are the steps I take: I start a slideshow then move the mouse to get the pause/setting/music button to pop up. I then select the music icon to get to the music menue, but when I try to select the "source" pull-down menue (located right below the checkbox that says "play music during slideshow"), nothing happens. I click on it but the box that used to allow me to navigate to the source for my music no longer opens up. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thank you,
Adam

C

chas_m

Could this be happening because your iTunes Library is no longer on the boot drive or in the "Music" folder of your Home Folder?

OP
A
Reaction score
I don't think so. My iTunes library is still located where it has always been. I went back and checked to make sure, it is all still in the "Music" folder of my Home Folder. Where it was when I still used to be able to select the source of the slideshow's music. And thanks for your reply.

C

chas_m

I'm attaching a picture of how mine looks (latest versions all around): I'm wondering if you have an older version of iPhoto, as there is no "pull-down" menu anymore. If that's the case, I wonder if having a newer version of iTunes and an older version of iPhoto might not be at the root of this problem.

iPhoto-add-music.jpg

OP
A
Reaction score
I'm sorry, "pull-down" menu isn't the most accurate description. This is the same look for music settings that I have, however where it says "source:" and you have selected iTunes, mine won't let me select anything. The source bar is empty and is unresponsive to anything I do.

I also recently deleted iPhoto and all the contents I could find related to it and reinstalled it again. And since I can't find my iLife disks at the moment, I had to use a torrent unfortunately and am using version 9.1. The interface looks pretty identical as far as I can tell though, and my iTunes is 11.0.4.

Also, since I last posted I was able to get an old slideshow playlist I made working, because it was selected as my default. I couldn't add any tracks to that set though, source was still unresponsive. When I accidentally unselected making it my default it went to the stock slideshow music. I then located the folder where this song was found, tried to add my own music and let it play, but it never played them. Then when I deleted the stock song and had only my music in there, the music in the slideshow was just silent. This is when I just deleted all the iPhoto files I could find and tried to start fresh, but unfortunately this changed nothing and I'm still where I left off before.

C

chas_m

I'm sorry but I can't assist you with a pirated copy of iPhoto. If you can't locate your original disks to restore your copy, but a fresh one from the Mac App Store. That will likely solve the issue anyway.

OP
A
Reaction score
I'm sorry but I can't assist you with a pirated copy of iPhoto. If you can't locate your original disks to restore your copy, but a fresh one from the Mac App Store. That will likely solve the issue anyway.
Understandable, it was a last resort. I do appreciate all your help though.

I did manage to find the disk, it was in a box I hadn't unpacked yet from moving back after school.

The issue is still there, so I think I'm going to try and focus on iTunes being the problem, seeing as I've basically deleted and reinstalled every iPhoto related file I could find.

Again, thank you for your time. Take care.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.