Connecting an Android tablet

Reaction score
I'm using OSX 10.6 on a MBP. I want to able to use my Mac to update my Samsung Tab2 tablet. The Mac doesn't recognise the tablet. I'm told I need to install Samsung's KIES software on the Mac. I've done that, but when I try to use it it asks for "my user id and password". I have no idea what that means. Also, it seems to think the Tab2, a perfectly straightforward tablet, is a modem and it wants to set up an internet connection for it.

Does anyone have any idea what this is all about, and how to use KIES (or other software) just to allow my Mac to recognise the Tab2?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Does anyone have any idea what this is all about, and how to use KIES (or other software) just to allow my Mac to recognise the Tab2?

KIES ~ Tutorial straight from the site. It shows you how . . . .

OP
P
Reaction score
I thought I'd looked at that, but I'll try it again. I'm puzzled why it should refer to the Tab2 as a "modem" and what "user id" and "password" it may be referring to - I just want to connect two bits of hardware together!

Incidentally, against strong advice from this site I fitted my MBP with a combo SSD/Dynamic hard drive, and performance is vastly better than it had ever been before. It's now a pleasure to use! My previous experiences had all been very negative.

OP
P
Reaction score
I've just been to the tutorial videos and they don't help me at all. They all assume a link has already been established between the Mac and the Tab2, and then go on to show you how to perform certain tasks. I can't get that far - my problem is in establishing a link in the first place. I really need someone who's actually done it to tell me what they did.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
OP
P
Reaction score
No, because I'd never heard of it. I asked Samsung how to connect and they didn't mention it!

That said, I've now downloaded and installed the Android File Transfer software onto my Mac, connected my Android device as per instructions, and it still isn't recognised. I've already tried rebooting the Tab2; next I'll try rebooting the Mac. A bit puzzling that for my Android version (4.1) my device is not listed, although others are.

OK, now I've rebooted everything. The Mac knows the Tab2 is there but it still won't connect to it. "Help" for the Android File Transfer software doesn't appear to help. I think I'll sleep on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
No, because I'd never heard of it. I asked Samsung how to connect and they didn't mention it!

That said, I've now downloaded and installed the Android File Transfer software onto my Mac, connected my Android device as per instructions, and it still isn't recognised. I've already tried rebooting the Tab2; next I'll try rebooting the Mac. A bit puzzling that for my Android version (4.1) my device is not listed, although others are.

OK, now I've rebooted everything. The Mac knows the Tab2 is there but it still won't connect to it. "Help" for the Android File Transfer software doesn't appear to help. I think I'll sleep on it.

Well is sounds like you have tried everything Mac wise to fix it, and it still not working, i would say its a Android OS problem. Why don't you do a Reinstall of the Andoid OS and see what goes. You might have a corrupt OS, corrupt files or anything corrupt of malicious on your phone

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.