Need help formatting my external hard drive

Reaction score
Alright, so I just transferred over from Windows to a Macbook Pro. I saved all my important files onto an external 500GB hard drive (Toshiba).
Now when I was transferring files from the hardrive to the Mac, I noticed I couldn't modify files or add new folders to the hardrive itself (I could edit and use them once I moved them out though). I googled it and I found out you can't modify stuff on a hardrive if its in the NTFS format, and that its recommended to switch to a FAT32 format.

Since my new Macbook is going to be my primary device, I want to be able to read and edit the contents of my hardrive on this device; however, I still want to at least be able to READ the contents on a Windows system.
Now I understand that FAT32 is the best as it works on both systems, but I also read somewhere that FAT32 only allows you to copy files smaller than 2GB; I have large movie files that I want to be able to save onto the hardrive so I don't think FAT32 is an option.

My questions are:
-Which format allows for the external hardrive to be read and edited (write) on a Mac and at least read and copied on a Windows system?
-Should I format the hardrive on my Mac or Windows? And how?
-Will I lose my data on the hardrive when I format it?

I appreciate any help and advice :)

p.s I'm not sure if this thread should have gone under the software category.. but yea..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First, FAT-32 limits single file copy and transfer to 4 GB not 2 GB. However, it's not recommended to use FAT-32 because it's not a journaled file system. Leave the external drive formatted to NTFS and buy Paragon NTFS from Paragon Software for $19.95. That will allow you to read and write to the drive from your Mac. Here is the LINK. And yes, formatting will destroy all data.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.