Special characters on Word for Mac

Reaction score
Dear forum members

I can't find in office word 2008 for Mac, the music character b-flat. More easy is to find it on text edit under symbols--> musical symbols.
Another question: is it possible to create a favorites symbols list similar to text edit in word?

Thank you

Reaction score
Music symbols in Word

Hi

I have the same problem but it's more extensive. I need lots (all!) of music symbols to use in Word.

Maybe someone out there can help us by telling us where to find these symbols OR software similar to Word that is designed for what we do.

I'm a vocalist/guitarist. I make my vocal lead sheets in Word containing the lyric, chord symbols and insert bars and beats, producing a sheet that I can easily follow while performing.

I will paste an example here:

It would be so useful to have all the standard musical symbols available to insert into word, e.g. correct symbol for 4/4, cut common, flat, maj 7th (triangle), half diminished, note symbols, diminished, rests, D.S. sign, Coda sign, big music brackets for repeats, etc

SWAY in Dm (4/4)

INTRO:
| Em7b5 / A9 / | ٪ | Dm7 / Dm6 / | Dm7 / Dm6 / |
| Em7b5 / A9 / | Em7b5 / A9 / | Dm / / / | Dm

1. |(Dm) When marimba rhythms |(Em7b5) start to (A9) play / |
|(Em7b5) Dance with (A9) me / |(Dm) make me sway (Am7) / |
|(Dm) Like a lazy ocean |(Em7b5) hugs the (A9) shore / |
|(Em7b5) Hold me (A9) close, sway me (Dm) more / / / |

2. |(Dm) Like a flower bending |(Em7b5) in the (A9) breeze / |
|(Em7b5) Bend with (A9) me | - (Dm) Sway with ease (Am7) |
|(Dm) When we dance you have a |(Em7b5) way with (A9) me / |
|(Em7b5) Stay with (A9) me, |(Dm) sway with me / |

MIDDLE: |(Dm) Other dancers may (C) be on the floor
Dear, but my eyes will (F) see only you
|(F6) Only you have that (A9) magic technique
When we sway I go (Bb9) weak / / / | Ab9

3. I can hear the sounds ……etc

Charlie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Im not sure how Word works but i just tried this in Apples Pages from the Mac App Store $20.99 here in Australia. But in System Preferences under the  symbol then Language and Text then Input Sources you go to the left table and right up the top is the Keyboard and Character viewer check Tick that then down the Bottom Check Show in Menu Bar.

Now once it is there, you can either (in any text App) select the Symbol you want, double click it and it will be produced in the position of the cursor in the Text App, Pages, Word, Text Edit, OR
in pages Preferences you can set it up under AutoCorrections, you type say <,> and the �� comes up, or !1! and ♭or ♩or ♪ or ♫ or ♬ or �� or ♮ or �� or �� or 〽 or �� or �� or �� or �� or �� or �� or �� or �� or �� or �� or �� or �� or �� or �� and to get these in the Character Palate see the cog top left click on that and select Musical Symbols . .

I hope this helps, if not look at this App Finale ~ Notepad

PS All those ? are all Musical Symbols in the Mac OS X. Go have a look at them

OP
P
Reaction score
Hi Charlie

a good music software that costs only 20 $ is "ireal b".

You wan't find all music symbols in word.

Best luck Paldo

Reaction score
Thanks a lotTattoo man!
I will investigate both.

Cheers

Charlie

Im not sure how Word works but i just tried this in Apples Pages from the Mac App Store $20.99 here in Australia. But in System Preferences under the  symbol then Language and Text then Input Sources you go to the left table and right up the top is the Keyboard and Character viewer check Tick that then down the Bottom Check Show in Menu Bar.

Now once it is there, you can either (in any text App) select the Symbol you want, double click it and it will be produced in the position of the cursor in the Text App, Pages, Word, Text Edit, OR
in pages Preferences you can set it up under AutoCorrections, you type say <,> and the �� comes up, or !1! and ♭or ♩or ♪ or ♫ or ♬ or �� or ♮ or �� or �� or 〽 or �� or �� or �� or �� or �� or �� or �� or �� or �� or �� or �� or �� or �� or �� and to get these in the Character Palate see the cog top left click on that and select Musical Symbols . .

I hope this helps, if not look at this App Finale ~ Notepad

PS All those ? are all Musical Symbols in the Mac OS X. Go have a look at them

Reaction score
iReal b

Thanks a lot Paldo

I have finally given up on finding music notes and symbols in Word.

I am aware of iReal B and intend to buy it, because it had great jazz "fake" charts, especially for jazz standards. I've seen it in action on an iPad. Very nice. Huge library of standards.

However for my current purposes, I'm not sure if it can handle charts longer than one page (a lot of mine are longer!):
(a) I don't know if it has sophisticated scrolling. I am looking for a really good PDF Reader which allows me to save each file with it's own font size, and especially with it's own scrolling speed.
(b) I'm not sure if I can access the musical symbols and create my own vocal lead sheets in the app. Only one way to find out I guess!

I have songs with and without backing tracks. For those with tracks, I have found a really effective system for embedding the song lyrics in each MP3 track, and time-stamping each line so it reads the lyric with chords as a karaoke file. The player I have allows me to customise font size for each track, and the exact instant when it highlights the next line, customised exactly to my song arrangement.

However my big problem is songs with no backtrack and therefore no time framework. That what has started the search for a good PDF Reader….

Cheers

Charlie

Hi Charlie

a good music software that costs only 20 $ is "ireal b".

You wan't find all music symbols in word.

Best luck Paldo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
However my big problem is songs with no backtrack and therefore no time framework. That what has started the search for a good PDF Reader….

Cheers

Charlie

Great PDF Reader with a lot more tricks under its belt PDFpen 6 from Mac App Store and there u=is also a iPad equivalent with iCloud Sync PDFpen for iPad.
If your in the US when the URL comes up, change the **au** to **us** and will tale you to the US store page of both.

HTH

Reaction score
Found a great reader: OnSong. with the help of Airturn pedals you can change the scroll speed and turn pages with your feet!

Charlie

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.