Desktop Icon Labels Disappeared!

Reaction score
I may have accidentally deleted a script that controls the desktop icon LABELS. In viewer options, I have checked and unchecked "Show item info"...etc, resized, everything, but that is not the problem. It happened after I cleaned my computer. I can see a dark line where my text would be next to the icon/folders. When I open a folder, everything can be seen inside of it as normal with text labels.

This may be a hard one. I tried to put back everything I deleted during my cleanup and restarted several times, but no luck. I think I deleted a script that controls the desktop.
This is what my desktop looks like with full icons on max font size.

Someone help?

Screen shot 2013-06-19 at 5.52.34 PM.png

C

chas_m

"It happened after I cleaned my computer"

Need more info on that, and in particular what software was used.

Did part of this "cleaning" involve removing "unused" fonts by any chance?

Oh, and just as an aside: keeping all your stuff on the desktop like that sucks up the computer's resources something fierce. After you solve the problem of the missing folder names, I'd strongly suggest you put that stuff away properly.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S

Oh, and just as an aside: keeping all your stuff on the desktop like that sucks up the computer's resources something fierce. After you solve the problem of the missing folder names, I'd strongly suggest you put that stuff away properly.

ditto

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I may have accidentally deleted a script that controls the desktop icon LABELS. In viewer options, ... It happened after I cleaned my computer.

Oops! Too bad there isn't a "Unclean" button.

It's not technically a "script" that controls that, I don't think.

Let your Mac maintain itself, you're too dangerous!

OP
A
Reaction score
Didn't Use software. Yeah, probably removed unused fonts??
I use every folder there DAILY and it's the easiest for ME!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Regardless of how the fonts were removed, the only way you're going to get them back is by reinstalling. Which version of OS X are you using?

OP
A
Reaction score
Yeah all my font book app, files and everything appears perfectly normal. I was trying to avoid reinstalling, but after days of researching, no one has a better option.

All I have is the original CD installation of a much older version from 4 years ago. Currently I am Os x 10.6.8.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, that's good. Snow Leopard does an automatic archive and install and will not destroy your other data. Use your original Snow Leopard DVD to do the reinstall and you should be OK. Another option is to go to the Apple web site and download - install the 10.6.8 combined update. Probably better to use your disk though. Make a backup of everything before proceeding just in case. You can use Time Machine or a cloning program such as Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper.

C

chas_m

Didn't Use software. Yeah, probably removed unused fonts??
I use every folder there DAILY and it's the easiest for ME!

Yeah, I suspected that might be caused by the accidental removal of fonts the system relies on. I once replaced the Times .dfont with a Times .ttf and boy did THAT cause a mess.

I know putting folder on the desktop is "easist," but there are a number of reasons beyond the one I mentioned for not doing so. Without going into a long talk on the subject, you can still have one-click access to every single one of those folders by consolidating them into another folder, putting that folder in your Home folder, and then dragging it to the Dock (which creates a shortcut). Then you'd have everything at your fingertips AND a computer with more processing power.

Alternatively, you could create aliases for those folders, put the real ones away somewhere, and litter your desktop with the aliases. Exact same layout and functionality as you have now, without taxing your computer's resources unnecessarily.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Adding to chas_m's excellent advice:

For current projects or folders needing daily access, you could also drag them to the sidebar in Finder where an alias is created. Then it's just a question of opening Finder and a one-click on the folder and you're away.

You do seem to have a lot of them though and the sidebar could fill up; but with a little planning, I'm sure you could be selective about what you really need daily. Or merge them into one or more folders as chas_m suggested.

I'm merely offering the Finder sidebar as another option.

Ian

OP
A
Reaction score
Yeah, I suspected that might be caused by the accidental removal of fonts the system relies on. I once replaced the Times .dfont with a Times .ttf and boy did THAT cause a mess.

I know putting folder on the desktop is "easist," but there are a number of reasons beyond the one I mentioned for not doing so. Without going into a long talk on the subject, you can still have one-click access to every single one of those folders by consolidating them into another folder, putting that folder in your Home folder, and then dragging it to the Dock (which creates a shortcut). Then you'd have everything at your fingertips AND a computer with more processing power.

Alternatively, you could create aliases for those folders, put the real ones away somewhere, and litter your desktop with the aliases. Exact same layout and functionality as you have now, without taxing your computer's resources unnecessarily.

I did not know that> :p Thank you, I will definitely do that! Hope you have a great day!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.