My external hard drive wont show up in the "Save to:" menu when I try to import video

Reaction score
My old external broke so I found my old one and plugged it in and went to import some videos on imove from an sd card but my external hard drive wont show up on the "save to:" drop down menu. I've been on utility disk to try and repair disk permission but I can't because the button isn't lit up. I can only click on verify disk or repair disk. I tried both of these but it still wont come on the drop down menu. It is showing up on the left in the event library but it has a little yellow triangle with a black exclamation mark in it.

Hope that all makes sense!

Any help would be very much appreciated! :)

iMovie '11
Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD
How large is the movie file? If the external drive is formatted in the FAT format, you can't copy files to it that are larger than 4GB I believe.

You will need to format it in either FAT32 format or if you never plan on using this drive with a PC, just go ahead and format it in the Mac OS (Journaled) format using disk utility. Be advised that formatting a drive erases all of the content currently stored on it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.