Running External Hard Drive in Both Window and Mac Computers

Reaction score
Can I install Windows 7 and or Xp on a external Hard Drive and have it run On my Windows Computer and on My Mac Book Pro with Boot Camp?

Will my Windows PC being a AMD Processor instead of Intel become a problem.
Has or is anyone doing this?

Thanks so much
Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
No you can't

Firstly you can't install Windows on an external drive (though you can transfer a bootcamp install to an external).
Secondly if you could get it onto an external it would re detect and try to reinstall all the hardware each time it was connected to a different machine which would require re-activation. Re activations re limited.

That's not to mention many more pitfalls that prevent this option being anything more than a complete time consuming pain

OP
U
Reaction score
I would be installing windows on to a Internal Hard drive connected through SATA, then would remove the hard drive and connect it to the mac via a Tool less Hard Drive Enclosure with USB 3.0.

Would I be able to Boot both Computer from the same hard drive? Not at the same time of coarse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
That still wouldn't work for all the reasons above and the additional one that you wouldn't have the required bootcamp boot loader

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
U
Reaction score
And if I connected that Version of windows installed from the Mac to different Hardware would the only thing stopping it from booting be the drivers?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, it would have an incompatible boot loader for a bios rather than efi based system.

Even if you you switch out the boot loader changing the base drivers back and forth each time would cause windows to become unstable very quickly. Not to mention you'd get locked out once the activation limits were reached.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
And by the way, Windows XP will not work properly because you will not find BootCamp drivers for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And by the way, Windows XP will not work properly because you will not find BootCamp drivers for it.

They are on the Snow Leopard disc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.