MacBook Pro Retina Storage

Reaction score
I just bought a MacBook Pro with Retina Display. I am still trying to get used to the small storage space. I have the 512GB SSD. I managed to use all but 131GB of my storage. When I check my storage, it says most of it is "Other". I'm not on my MBP right now, so I'm not sure how much is taken up by other. It's a lot though. How do I get rid of the stuff that's taking up all of this space? I use external drives for everything but apps. Any advice?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Use the excellent program Disk Inventory X to get a graphical representation of your disk contents. The larger the image, the larger the file, so see where they are and move/delete what you don't need..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina, 2.3 GHz i7, 16GB RAM, GeForce GT 650M
Also part of the storage is used by OS X to store the content of the RAM when going into sleep mode. This means that if you have 16 GB of RAM, 16 GB of storage will be used for that purpose. Also, the OS will store typically a few swap images weighting 1GB in the same location. These images are erased when you reboot.

Finally time machine stores mobile backups of your drive locally. This can take a lot of space. The go away when you backup your drive to an external one but will come back between backups. These mobile backups can be deactivated, you can google how to do it if interested.

This stuff is typically "hidden" to the user, but Disk Inventory X will help you find them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.