noise

Reaction score
hi fellow forum users, i'm new here. i encountered a problem with my MacBook Pro, and felt i might get some response here. all of a sudden, my mac makes much mechanical noise coming from within. do you think this is a big problem? thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Depending on your model there are only three things that can make a mechanical noise;
the optical drive
the hard disk
the cooling fan(s)

My bet is that it's the fan(s)

Which Mac do you have and how old is it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Can you tell us more about your MacBook Pro's configuration? Does it have an SSD or a hard drive? In my experience, mechanical noise is typically from a hard drive (most folks recognize the sound of a fan pretty easily). If this is the case, you need to back up your hard drive quickly - mechanical noise from a hard drive is usually a leading indicator of hard drive failure, and in the very near future. Back up as quickly as possible.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.