Why does YouTube look different on Safari?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
Hello guys

I have always wondered why the Youtube video interface is so different on Safari than on Chrome and other web browsers? I have recently started using Safari as my main browser after getting the latest update because simply it has become awesome - quick, snappy, lag-free, extremely responsive and most of all great features.

I wouldn't want to stop using Safari as my main browser because of a silly little thing like that, but in all honesty it's very annoying for me. I did find this extension called YouTube5 under Safari preferences and I disabled it, but no go.

I have uploaded two screenshots of how it looks on Safari and how it looks on Chrome. I want the Chrome look.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Screen Shot 2013-06-19 at 8.29.09 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-06-19 at 8.26.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-06-19 at 8.26.06 AM.png
    319.3 KB · Views: 28
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD
It might look different on Chrome because YouTube is owned by Google so they might have made the interface a little different for their own web browser.

Firefox has the same YouTube interface as Safari. I don't think there's a way to change it.

OP
Tarek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
Thank you for you reply. I am not so sure about that because I use Internet Explorer on Windows sometimes and YouTube shows up just the way it does on Chrome. I have also tried using Opera browser just for the sake of experimenting and I got the same thing. This is weird, especially because I just realized that Safari actually displays the YouTube interface in the first picture ^ sometimes!

C

chas_m

I think you are are looking at the difference between the HTML5 YouTube interface and the Flash one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.