Disappearing Cursor Problem got worse

Reaction score
The Disappearing Cursor problem just got worse.
For months I have had the problem of the cursor or brush or whatever I was using suddenly vanish (especially when I am working in Photoshop CS6 ) and I have to click back somewhere in the dock to get it to reappear, it was happening once of twice per hour today it started to occur every couple of minute,, it is very annoying and time-wasting... Anyone know how to fix it???
iMac OS 10.8.4

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Please post your Mac's specs: Model and year. Also, how much system memory do you have and how much hard drive space is remaining?

OP
P
Reaction score
iMac 27 inch Late 2009 OSX 10.8.4 2.8 GHz Intel CORE i7 Memory 32 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 Garphics ATI Radeon HD 4858 512 MB 371.85 GB space available (capacity 999.35 GB)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well, you certainly have enough memory and remaining hard drive space along with decent graphics on that machine; so we can probably eliminate any of those as a cause. Thanks for posting back your specs by the way.

Is the cursor only disappearing when you're using CS6 or does it also happen with other applications? I'm assuming you've tried another mouse or trackpad? I've seen the cursor disappear once in awhile with certain apps especially when I'm using a BT mouse. I've had it disappear on me in Word 2011 when I was typing fast in a document but it was only momentary.

Something you may want to try (if you haven't already) is to do a PRAM reset first. If that doesn't work, try a SMC reset. The SMC reset is real easy to do with an iMac. Just shut down, pull the plug from the AC socket and let it remain that way for about 10 minutes. Plug it back in and boot up.

Lastly, boot your iMac to the recovery partition (command + r). Once in recovery, select utilities and Disk Utility. Verify the hard drive, and also repair permissions. You need to do both from recovery. Let us know if any of the above helps.

OP
P
Reaction score

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm about out of suggestions on this one. I guess you can always try a reinstall of CS6 if you feel like going through all that work. I don't think this is a hardware problem but of course I could be wrong.

OP
P
Reaction score
From talking to others it is a Mac Mountain Lion OS problem.I need a MAC nerd..... Since I seems to have misplaced my CS6 Dvd I can't reinstall... Oh well thanks anyway.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.