using time machine with adata NH03 external hard drive

Reaction score
I just got a new ADATA NH03 external drive (USB 3.0 transfer speed), so I can backup my computer (iMac with Mac Os X ver. 10.7.5, 3.1 Ghz Intel Core i5, 4 GB 1333 Mhz DDR3). I clicked on time machine and selected the external hard disk, but it tells me the following:

¿Are you sure that you want to erase the security copy of your disk "ADATA NH03"? If you do so, all the disk info. will be deleted. This operation cannot be undone. To be able to save security copies of Time Machine in this disk, you should erase it first because its files' system is incompatible.

That sounds scary, I don't want to mess up my new hard disk but apparently cannot work with Mac's time machine unless I reformat it???

Is it possible to solve the situation??

I appreciate if someone could advice me. THANKS.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Time Machine will not work with any other format except the Mac OS Extended Journaled File System known as HFS+. So yes, the drive must be reformatted in order to use it. Since that drive is formatted to be used in a secure environment with encrypted data, the security software will be destroyed in the process. (Data is automatically encrypted to the drive as it's copied.)

Why did you buy that drive to begin with? I would return it and get a normal USB 2 or 3 drive to use with Time Machine. Or, buy another drive to use with Time Machine and save that one for what it was designed for: encrypted data and security.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Why did you buy that drive to begin with? I would return it and get a normal USB 2 or 3 drive to use with Time Machine. Or, buy another drive to use with Time Machine and save that one for what it was designed for: encrypted data and security.

Beat me to the punch again I see.

I was looking at some info to see what that message meant since that is not the usual message one gets when an unrecognized drive is plugged in. It never dawned on me that the message might be triggered by security/encryption software. The support area is not very useful/Mac friendly BTW.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thank you very much, I am amazed how fast I got some answer. I appreciate a lot your comment. It seems I got the wrong drive . . . which I actually cannot return it now . . .

But thanks, I will definitely use your advice for future purchases.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Since you cannot return it there's nothing much left to loose by formatting the drive. After that is done it should work with Time machine.

1. Before you format the drive save any data on it that you want to keep. Formatting will erase anything on the drive.
2. With the drive connected launch Disk Utility
3. Select the drive in the pane at the left side of the Window. Then choose the Format tab and set it to Extended Journaled. Click Erase.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.