ipod 2 window s and mac

J

jellstein

I have the newest 20g version of the ipod and I access to my friends windows computers running XP and apple powerbooks. What are the best programs and patches to use so that I can transfer files back and forth between the computers and my ipod; where should i download these programs as well. I want to keep a variety of songs from all the different computers on my ipod. If anyone can help I would appreciate it, thanks.

OP
G

GwiDan

jellstein said:
I have the newest 20g version of the ipod and I access to my friends windows computers running XP and apple powerbooks. What are the best programs and patches to use so that I can transfer files back and forth between the computers and my ipod; where should i download these programs as well. I want to keep a variety of songs from all the different computers on my ipod. If anyone can help I would appreciate it, thanks.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it's possible to use an iPod both with Windows and Mac; if you set it up for one type of machine, it won't work with the other unless you format and start from the beginning.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
If you format your iPod for windows it can be read by both the Apple and PC
If you format your iPod for Macs only the mac will read it

Go to version tracker and search for iPodRip
That is the best program I know of for transferring music off of the iPod

OP
B

brody

i tried formatting my iPod for Windows, in order to use it with both platforms, but I found that it doesn't work very well. my mac sees the ipod and allows me to transfer music to it, but it has problems. it freezes up a lot and won't turn off when i try to play the songs. i just discovered this, and am quite dissapointed as i just spent money on a usb cable to use it with my windows machine. it looks like it's better to use it with just one platform or the other. has anyone else been successful doing this? maybe when longhorn comes out for windows, it will support the apple file system on ipods. good thing that's only 2 years away.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I have mine formatted for windows and have no problems going cross platform

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.