• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Can't get DVD to itunes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0 ghz
Every time I buy a DVD, I make a copy as a backup, but I also use Handbrake to put it into itunes (for iphone and ipad since that's where I usually watch them).

Well, I have a set of videos I just bought that have Japanese audio, but English subtitles - or something. When the DVD starts, I select "English" from the menu and everything shows up fine. I see what looks like normal subtitles in English, but there are also things that pop up on the screen that seem more like images with text. If I don't select "English", those are Japanese (or some Asian language) instead. Don't know if those images with text are just another way of doing subtitles or if they are something completely different.

Anyway, everything I've tried with Handbrake only gives me a copy on my computer that doesn't have the English in either form. Actually, I had to get a friend to make me a DVD copy to get past the protection first (works fine), but while Handbrake makes a copy from that, it has no English and playing the file doesn't give any option to select it.

Never ran into this problem before and I really need to have these on my iphone or ipad. Is there a way to get that "choose language" option into an itunes version or, better, just a way to have a copy that includes the English translation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.