wired DSL connection only lasts 10 seconds

Reaction score
My dads imac has recently started having a problem with the internet. So on Fathers day I worked on it for the entire afternoon, 4 hours I had an ATT tech working along side. My Dad CoreDuo 20" only stays connected for 5-10 seconds and then stops. If I unplug the network cable and reinsert it, I get another 5-10 seconds of the internet. This is via ATT uverse, and a wifi signal is present and allows seemless internet connections, as checked with an ipad. it is repeatable...just unplug and replug the cat5 cable and I always get a few seconds of internet traffic, usually just enough for 1 or 2 pages to load.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not much information to go on... but try running the Apple Hardware Test on your father's Mac. You'll need the original install disk set in order to do that. Apple Hardware Test

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
What happens if you disconnect the cable and connect wirelessly?

Are you connected directly to the modem or via a router?
If you have modem and router, what happens if you connect the modem directly to the Mac?

OP
J
Reaction score
I will give him a call and have him locate the Hardware test disc, I'm guessing his Imac must be 6 years old by now, so I suppose something may have failed.. The imac is plugged directly into the UVERSE modem, which also provides WiFi along with 4 cat5 connections. His Imac doesn't have any wifi capabilities....although that should be cheap and easy. I was able to connect wirelessly with another device and it was fast and stable, and we tried 4 different modems, each had the same issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
If it's this one it has wifi built-in. Though it will be labelled Airport not wi-fi.

I'm going to take a dig into my memory and say tentatively that all Intel Macs do.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.