Internet radio app

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini with 16GB RAM
I use an app called Tune In Radio on my Android devices and find it brilliant! I'm looking for something similar to run on my Mac Mini.

Could someone suggest a good app (either through iTunes or as a native Mac app) please, and one with similar functionality to Tune In Radio (which I know is available for iPad and iPhone)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
iTunes has loads of radio stations built in to its radio list

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks for the mention of Tune In Radio. I downloaded the free version to see if I like it though I don't use this type of app much. I'm currently using Pocket Tunes. On the surface though it seems very similar to what you have.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini with 16GB RAM
iTunes has loads of radio stations built in to its radio list

Yes it has, but it's not great to use. For example, with Tune In radio I can browse stations that are near me, and browse by geography. I like browsing radio stations in different parts of the world.

Plus, iTunes doesn't store my recently listened to stations or allows me to store favourites.

Having said that. I think that if I open a radio stream using its URL and choose iTunes to open it then it stores that station under 'Internet Songs' in the Library.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes. That is exactly what happens. Many stations include a pls file on their site. When you double click that file it opens in iTunes and appears in the Internet Songs playlist. I think you can edit the info to show a more descriptive name if necessary.

If there is a station that is already in iTunes you can also drag those to the Internet songs playlist so that you do not have to rummage through the main listing. When new versions of iTunes are released say going from version 10 to 11 it is a good idea to rummage through the list a bit to see what stations have been dropped/added.

Although I don't know a direct way to make iTunes show a list of recently played streams it might be possible with a Smart Playlist. Think I will experiment with that a bit.

C

chas_m

BTW: Radio stations added to iTunes by way of a PLS (which show up in "Internet Songs" playlist) also get added to the Radio section as well.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BTW: Radio stations added to iTunes by way of a PLS (which show up in "Internet Songs" playlist) also get added to the Radio section as well.

I did not realize that. I add them to the Internet Songs playlist to avoid slogging through the larger list. About the only time i look at the larger list is to check for changes or to recreate a station i moved from the main list at some point.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.