New Macbook Air v. Macbook Pro (non-retina)

Reaction score
It's time. The 2006 white Macbook needs to be put down.

I'm a teacher, so I mostly use the computer for documents, web browsing, email, netflix, some light photo display and editing, and itunes. No gaming.

It won't travel very much.
It can be plugged in frequently.

So here's the match-up:

A) Newly announced 13" Macbook Air ($1050 edu. price)
- 1.3 Ghz i5 dual-core
- 4 GB *soldered* RAM
- 128 GB *soldered* Solid State HD
- 12 hour battery

B) Non-retina 13" Macbook Pro ($999 edu. price)
- 2.5 Ghz i5 dual core
- 4 GB *upgradable* RAM
- 500 GB *removable* platter HD (*strongly* considering +$200 for 128 SS HD upgrade)
- 7 hour battery

Considerations:
- Looking to make it last a few (3-4) years
- Solid State HD is nice for speed and durability (I'm a jostler)
- Looking to migrate files to cloud storage (already using External Drive)
- Am fearful of Macbook Pro Buyer's Remorse if new one comes out in ~4 months (I need something now)

Any thoughts out there?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you consider buying the MBA, get it with the maximum amount of memory it can hold - 8 GB. The solid state flash drive will likely be upgradeable as soon as Other World Computing has one available. The MBA SSD is not soldered in.

My choice would be the MBP 13". More bang for your buck. However, if you consider buying it, I would wait. New models are coming soon.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks, but unfortunately, I need it now.

If the MBA SSHD is upgraded with something from OWC, does that void the Apple warranty?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If the MBA SSHD is upgraded with something from OWC, does that void the Apple warranty?

It doesn't void the warranty on the non retina MBP when the hard drive is changed or upgraded. I can't say for sure what Apple's warranty policy is with the MBA drive or the retina MBP drive. It would definitely be something to look into before doing the upgrade yourself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina, 2.3 GHz i7, 16GB RAM, GeForce GT 650M
I would go for the MacBook Air, potentially upgrading the RAM to 8GB since you want to keep your machine for 3-4 years. By then the 4GB will be limited and you won't be able to upgrade since the RAM is soldered to the board.

The advantage of the Air is that you get a better graphic card (a bit snappier when using the OS, iPhoto, iMovie, etc.), you don't have to change the SSD, it's already there (and it can still be upgraded later on, when the SSD is cheaper).

I don't think you will see much difference in terms of CPU.

Battery life is not that important to you, but still a nice bonus in the MBA.

So the Air has the edge for your needs.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks!

Does anyone think that the 500 GB platter is better than the 128 GB SSD?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks!

Does anyone think that the 500 GB platter is better than the 128 GB SSD?

The 500gig HD is certainly better if you need more internal storage. But you can only get the 500gig HD with the MacBook Pro. Thus if you opt for the 500gig HD...then you must get the 13" MacBook Pro.

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Right -- 500 is bigger than 128. But...

A) Given my pretty conventional needs, is there a future benefit to a 500?

B) Is there a hardware benefit between platter vs. SSD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just to add to my previous post, I checked the iFixit teardown of the Air and can confirm that the SSD will surely be upgradable later on (it's not soldered on the board unlike the RAM), OWC will come up with a specific form factor model later on as they have in the past. The SSD in the new Air is not compatible with the old ones so you need to wait if you want to upgrade.

But if you don't need that much storage right now you can stick with the 128GB and maybe upgrade in 2 years (if needed). At that time the price of an SSD drive should be a quarter of what it is now, so you could get a 512GB SSD then, which will have a much better performance that the hard drive in the MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

A) One benefit if you swap the drive for an SSD in the MBP is that you can then use your 500GB hard drive as an external drive for backup and storage.

B) SSD are silent, less prone to break down and loss of data, have greater shock & impact resistance, produce almost no heat and tend to consume less power, among other things. So there is a difference, but to the advantage of the SSD.

OP
A
Reaction score
Just to add to my previous post, I checked the iFixit teardown of the Air and can confirm that the SSD will surely be upgradable later on (it's not soldered on the board unlike the RAM), OWC will come up with a specific form factor model later on as they have in the past. The SSD in the new Air is not compatible with the old ones so you need to wait if you want to upgrade.

But if you don't need that much storage right now you can stick with the 128GB and maybe upgrade in 2 years (if needed). At that time the price of an SSD drive should be a quarter of what it is now, so you could get a 512GB SSD then, which will have a much better performance that the hard drive in the MBP.

Thanks for clarifying the permanence of the HD.

SO, if the HD size isn't that much of a sticking point, what of the method? Platter or SSD? Is one better than the other? Speed, battery, stability, etc?

Also, does the processor difference seem to be a big deal? (1.3 seems half as slow as 2.5)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

If you're seriously thinking about the 500gig internal HD...then you shouldn't even be thinking about the MacBook Air.

And if the MacBook Air option is "off the table"...then your decision is easy...get the 13" MacBook Pro!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for clarifying the permanence of the HD.

SO, if the HD size isn't that much of a sticking point, what of the method? Platter or SSD? Is one better than the other? Speed, battery, stability, etc?

Also, does the processor difference seem to be a big deal? (1.3 seems half as slow as 2.5)

For your usage, I don't think you will really notice a difference between the 2 CPUs. And if you are really worried, you can always upgrade to an i7 for $150. But for light to medium load tasks, it won't matter much.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

The SSD is definitely faster. That's one of the main advantages of an SSD.

The architecture of the MacBook Air makes it faster then the cpu speed would indicate.

Factually speaking...cpu benchmark tests on the two computers you listed show that even though the cpu speed of the MacBook Air (1.3ghz) is almost half that of the MacBook Pro (2.5ghz)...the MacBook Pro's cpu benchmark scores are only appox. 10% better.

So if it makes a difference to you...the cpu scores of the MacBook Pro are about 10% better...but since the MacBook Air is newer...it has the better graphics hardware.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The architecture of the MacBook Air makes it faster then the cpu speed would indicate.

Factually speaking...cpu benchmark tests on the two computers you listed show that even though the cpu speed of the MacBook Air (1.3ghz) is almost half that of the MacBook Pro (2.5ghz)...the MacBook Pro's cpu benchmark scores are only appox. 10% better.

So if it makes a difference to you...the cpu scores of the MacBook Pro are about 10% better...but since the MacBook Air is newer...it has the better graphics hardware.

- Nick

Thanks Pigoo3, I was just about to say that (I took a minute to check the benchmark scores ;)).

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Pigoo3, I was just about to say that (I took a minute to check the benchmark scores ;)).

I think that we are thinking exactly the same way/same logic!:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would still wait for the new MBP 13" machine. It's overdue and will likely outperform the MBA. Besides, the form factor is not that much different. As an aside, MacWorld gives higher ratings to the 11" MBA than the 13" MBA. I guess because of its portability.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
As I have said in another post, the new MBA (2013) is very little different than the 2011 or 2012 models when it is sitting on your lap (somewhat cooler, though).

However... The battery time on the new Air is unbelievable. I don't have a spare charger to carry in the bag because the connectors are different on my old one and none of the converter plugs are available locally yet. But...

I'm not sure I even care any more. Even after a full day on the road, when I get home there is still usually more hours left in the battery than my 2011 had fully charged. Apple wasn't giving out an EPA rating on this one - their claims are real.

Not even remotely comparable to my otherwise satisfactory Linux Certified laptop - 1.5 hours and it is flat.

Reaction score
If you're teaching and do a lot of typing, be aware that the keyboard on the Air is 'shallow'. Less defined, 'click click' keyboarding.

I love the Air. Others swear by their MBP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.