Bootcamp XP - wifi can't connect

Reaction score
Hi, I've a 27" iMac, OS 10.6.8, I've wifi and ethernet connection OK in OSX, but when I switch to Windows XP (SP2) bootcamp, the only way I can get connected to internet is by using ethernet cable, now that I moved the router few meters away from the iMac I would need to use wifi connection in XP, when I go to "network connections" I can see the little wifi Icon but it has a red cross on it, if I go to "see wifi connections" I can see my router and all bars are full green but when I click on "connect" a pop up windows with a little animation trying to connect to the net appears and after 5 or 6 seconds it says "that there is a problem trying to connect to that network, It could be far away etc" (sorry or something like that, I can't remember) the thing is that although I see the router I can't establish the connection. It has WPA2 encryption (password) that works ok on OSX but the problem is Windows XP in wifi mode, what's happening??
I tried to change to WPA, WPA2, OPEN, etc on network preferences (windows side) but I got the same problem. How can I get ride of the red cross over the wifi network icon?? The strangest is that I can see the Atheros network icon OK in "DEVICE MANAGER" windows. I've installed latest version of Atheros (Atheros_ar5xxx_7.7.0.466-xp(Station-Drivers: le site de drivers, bios, firmwares avec un forum d'aide) 10/2012, but nothing happens, red cross in wifi network icon. HELP! thanks

OP
G
Reaction score
well, I am gonna reply myself, hope this helps to anybody else who is in troubles. I contacted my internet services provider and asked about it, chatting a little bit I asked that If the reasson I cannot surf internet might be an encrypting password problem, so asked how to enter my router. It is usually 10.0.0.2, 192.168.0.1, but this time was 192.168.1.1 for this kind of router, so had to go to OSX (where I do have internet) I entered inside the router specs and changed from WPA2-AES to WPA-AES, I kept my password, then saved changes. Then I started the machine in Windows mode, went to wifi icon and THE RED CROSS HAD DISSAPEAR!!!, it was all a new world now!!!, went to "see wifi connections", clicked on "Connect" and WHOALA!!! internet WIFI is working now!! I am even writing this from Windows!!! hope this can help, so it was all about the router´s encrypting mode!! :D :D :D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I am even writing this from Windows!!! hope this can help, so it was all about the router´s encrypting mode!!

Not sure I understand why XP SP2 would not connect with WPA2? I use WPA2 here at my home office and both my iMac and an older Toshiba running XP SP3 have no problem connecting.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Not sure I understand why XP SP2 would not connect with WPA2? I use WPA2 here at my home office and both my iMac and an older Toshiba running XP SP3 have no problem connecting.

Same here - although I don't have a Toshiba.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
XP Pro on a Dell latitude works just fine with WPA2.

OP
G
Reaction score

Yes my friend, I remember I was mad, last night wasn't the first time in trying to sort that issue out, I did it in many other occasions but no luck at all, I was downloading and downloading different drivers, what I can only found on internet is that Apple is not solving XP SP2 troubles any more, in my last attempt to try it I decided to call my internet provided CS, all that he pointed me out was that it might be a software/compatibility issue, I told him I am running XP on Mac (and of course this kind of man are a bit scared of Apple) so he only mentioned to enter the router and try using a 64bit encryption and change my password to only 5 letters. (it worked with more letters though), so when I did it and clicked on "connect" the red cross disappeared and could finally surf the net in WI-FI mode. Very strange and this caused me lot of head aches. Hope this solution works to anybody else in troubles. :Blushing::Blushing:

Reaction score
Thanks Gabriel. Had exactly this problem. - couldn't get wifi in bootcamp without servicepack 3, couldn't get servicepack 3 without wifi. Changed the router to wpa from wpa2 and wifi started working. Yay!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Thanks Gabriel. Had exactly this problem. - couldn't get wifi in bootcamp without servicepack 3, couldn't get servicepack 3 without wifi. Changed the router to wpa from wpa2 and wifi started working. Yay!

Which is the opposite solution to that above. Which makes me suspect this is more a driver or router config issue rather than an XP capability issue

Reaction score
No, it's the same problem. Windows XP SP2 won't work in Bootcamp with WPA2. But it turns out WPA works.just fine. I changed it in Mac just like Gabriele did , and it fixed my problem.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It appears that you need to install XP SP-3 before WPA2 is recognized. My older Toshiba which has XP SP-3 installed and all the latest XP updates works just fine using WPA2. You should be using SP-3 anyway because of all the security updates which have been implemented by MS.

Reaction score
Yes, but the XP I had only had SP2. So I needed to be able to connect before I could download SP3, which meant changing to WPA. That's where this thread started.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I understand that. By the way, XP SP-3 was once offered by MS on disk for free. I don't think it's available that way any longer. Also, there are sites that have XP SP-3 available for download other than MS. You could actually download it from your Mac, save it on disk or flash drive and then update your copy of XP that way.

OP
G
Reaction score

I'm glad it helped you out Jemma!! I think I never tried this many drivers in my life to make something works....and it even didn't, the solution was very simple and at the distance of the hand. :D :D :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.