Mac Mini, No Airport card installed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 Mac Mini, iPad Retina
I have a Mac Mini 2.26 that I'm having issues with.

I haven't used it in a while and immediately after booting, I noticed that it was showing "No Airport card installed."

I can't think of anything to do, so I tried using the disks that came with the machine. But the disk drive ejects anything I put in there after 15 or 20 seconds.

Any ideas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not much to go on here as you didn't provide us with the year and model of the Mini nor what version of OS X it's running. However, you can try this: Buy a can of compressed air and blow several short blasts in the disk drive. Then try again to boot from your install disk set and run the Apple Hardware Test.

You might also do a PRAM reset and a SMC reset.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Assuming this is a 2009 Mac Mini model 3.1, it did come with an Airport card so sounds like it may have gone to WiFi heaven whilst in storage or whatever. You would need to crack it open and replace that card. Also sounds like the slot loading optical drive has failed. No chance of a bump whilst not in use? Here is a how-to from ifixit:-

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+Mac+mini+Model+A1283+AirPort-Bluetooth+Combo+Card/1060/1

this is the card - Shop around usually available from HK sellers on eBay:-

http://www.welovemacs.com/ncard.html

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 Mac Mini, iPad Retina
Thanks for the replies. Yes, it is the '09 3.1. I'm going to try some of those things. I did try the apple hardware test and that showed everything normal.

If this helps at all, the drive will attempt to read discs 5 or 6 times before it ejects.

Thanks again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.