speech recognition headsets

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I'm looking for a wired USB-based headset for voice recognition to match with Dragon Dictate. I live in the UK.

Quality is, within reason, more important than price.

Any product advice from experienced users?

As always, I am most grateful.

Ian

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I have used a couple of different headsets with dictation programs. Just about any good headset works reasonably well. The company says that the quality of the mic affects recognition but the mics on their site are out of my budget.
They recommend "a Nuance-approved noise-canceling headset microphone for Mac (included in purchase)." I can't seem to find it one the support area at the moment but I thought they had a policy that required use of a certified mic if you were calling for support.

Here' their list of tested microphones. I've had good luck with the Logitech Clear Chat series of headsets.

OP
IWT

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Many, many thanks. To you and all who take the time to read and answer queries.

I'll check these out.

Ian

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Let me know what you decide to get and how you like it. I am pretty fed up with what I have now (not very comfortable). I am looking at some of the Turtle Beache headsets since they would be good for other uses but it will be a while before I buy anything.

OP
IWT

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sure; will do.

Ian

OP
IWT

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Slydude

As promised, my feedback. Personal views only, not associated in any way with any product.

The headset which came with Dragon Dictate was okay for the job; but not very comfortable.

I have now purchased Plantronics Audio DSP 400 which is on the "certified list of approved headsets" by Dragon. Much more comfortable for my head anyway. Much nicer microphone boom and is foldable for portability with leather bag provided for same. (I don't require the portable facility myself).

So far, it is working well. Cost £30 including postage. As it's an American company, my guess would be that it is cheaper stateside.

Ian

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the update. I can agree with you about the comfort level of the original headset. If it is anything like the one I got (may go back to when the program was called iListen and produced by a different company) .

I can find those here for about $25 - $45 US depending upon the vendor. I'm going to hold off for a while and look a bit more. I am leading in the direction of a wireless option but haven't decided which one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.