copying e-mails to DVD

Reaction score
Can I copy e-mails to a DVD on my iMac. I tried to drag and drop but it doesn't seem to be working?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini: 500GB-8GH : iPad 2 64GB
You could copy and paste the info into a word document and then put it on a DVD.

What program were you trying to drag from?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Assuming you're using Mac Mail:

If you have 1000s of emails to copy, I hope you have plenty of spare time on your hands. Click on an individual email message as a test. Now click on "save as". Select the drop down arrow and you'll see you have three choices: Raw message, Rich Text Format, and Plain text. After selecting any one of the three choices you can then drag and drop the message to a DVD to burn. Keep in mind that a single layer DVD will hold around 4.6 GB.

Lots of work though. There may be a way to archive the entire Mail folder or folders which would certainly be easier than the above. Perhaps someone else has a better suggestion.

C

chas_m

The Mac App Store has a program called Email Archiver.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/email-archiver/id407821589?mt=12

I can't see how much it costs now because I already own it, but it must have been cheap. :)

It creates folders of PDF versions of the emails, with attachments preserved in matching files. I presume you already know how to burn folders to a data DVD, so that should do the trick for you.

OP
C
Reaction score
getting emails on a DVD

I have Time Machine. If I erase a year's worth of emails, can I retrieve them on Time Machine? Thx

C

chas_m

Yes -- for a little while. How long depends on how far back your Time Machine can store things, which is dependent on how much larger your TM drive is compared to your boot drive its archiving to. In short, I would recommend TM highly for retrieving an email from a month or three ago that you need to get back to, but it is not for long-term storage of anything.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.