First pics with fuji s9500

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini @ 1.5Ghz, 1GB ram, 12.1" ibook 1.33Ghz 1GB ram
well i went around campus last night with my new s9500 and a tripod, and took a few shots with my new cam, anywho the first pic is of a building called the infolab, its a 13 second exposure, the second pic is of a random car driving past, and this is a 10 second exposure. tell me what you think and any suggestions on how i could improve my pics. thanks!

infolab640x480.jpg

carlights640x480.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
I like the first one, yet I think there should be some focal point. There is nothing that really jumps out at the viewer, perhaps an object at the top of the stairs? A person facing away looking up in awe? As for the second picture, I like it as well, though a 5 second exposure with less of a trail on the lights would be nice as well. Sometimes too much of something takes away from the specialness of it, regardless, keep up the good work. PM me when you put more up.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
how would i go about creating a focal point, decrease the aperture or try a differnt focusing mode? because i am a complete camera n00b, these two pictures are the first i have ever taken that haven't just been a case of "point and shoot"

any help on setting my camera up would be apprecaited!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
a focal point: he meant, you should find something to focus onto, something that really draws the eye, for instance, when i look at the firt picture my eye automaticly go tward the stairs / railings. that is kind of a focal point, but instead of just taking a picture of a building, though it came out nice, he just meant maybe try to find something that really stands out to you, something that catches your eye.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
besides all of that, the picture quality is awesome!

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
here is the first macro i have taken with this new cam, i couldnt really find anything of much interest to take a macro of, so i took a pic of the closest thing to me.....the mesh of my desktop speakers..... again any tips on how i can improve would be greatly appreciated :black:
640x480speaker.jpg

Reaction score
I liek the composition in the second picture a lot, the macro also seems pretty good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
Call me dumb,

But what is a Macro?

I'm interested in digital photography but have not covered it much, I Have a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P73 4.1 Mega Pixel Camera which has all these different fancy settings and so on but I have not got a clue how to use them really lol.

If anyone could give me a quick 101 in digital photography that would be awesome! As I would really like to take an artistic photograph of the Humber Bridge (Hull, UK) as every time I pass it I think it’s an amazing piece of engineering!

Regards,

Chris. :mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
i like that third picture, the idea is good, better lighting and it would look much nicer..

best way to learn, is to practice, you only get better when you try, if something isn't working like you think it should, do some research, here is a doc that might help some get the general ideas about photography, http://web.telia.com/~u54105795/intro-to-photography.html

but i'd also recommend going to dp review, they give you good information if you are just starting out, read reviews and read the glossary, it should help you understand things a bit better. http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/glossary/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Lenses with this feature can focus very close (less than 8") for taking pictures of small objects at a 1:1 ratio.

^Macro (wikipedia.com)

I have this same camera, and I absolutely love it.

Took this one with very little light.
tracks.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2GHz PowerMac G5 + 20" Apple Cinema Display
MrChris said:
As I would really like to take an artistic photograph of the Humber Bridge (Hull, UK) as every time I pass it I think it’s an amazing piece of engineering!

i love that bridge :D i was bored and drove about 1.5 hours one day just to go see it lol, this is my fav pic i got from the day...

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/26086414/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
The camera we are talking about in this thread.. is is digital or film?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
hollerz.mac said:
i love that bridge :D i was bored and drove about 1.5 hours one day just to go see it lol, this is my fav pic i got from the day...

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/26086414/

Awesome picture!

My goal is to take a picture of the bridge thats as good as that one and get it printed so i can hang it on my wall.

Regards,

Chris. :)

S

steve zissou

pscl227, when you say you had a 10 second exposure time, is that what created the solid band from the cars headlights? thanks

cpt.zissou

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.