changing apple ID on iPhone

Reaction score
I recently changed my apple ID on my mac to reflect my name change, however I cannot change it on my iphone. I continue to get pop up message wanting me to enter my password for the obsolete apple ID and when I enter what I think the password is it is incorrect. I have tried to reset it, use security questions (which can't authenticate me), have called apple four times and spent countless hours on the phone. I am at a loss as to how to change this on my phone. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

C

chas_m

When you say you "changed your Apple ID on your Mac" -- can you describe in more detail what you mean? Changing it on the Mac doesn't mean doodly-all if the iTunes Store didn't get the memo ... can you use the iTunes stores normally under the new ID?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
^^^
Have never heard of "changing" an Apple ID.
Updating your email address, password, CC info, name... yes.
Getting a second Apple ID - yes - and a mistake since everything you have already purchased remain tied to the original ID and Apple will not merge accounts.
(That's one of the ways they achieve that ungodly number of accounts.)
None of those change the actual Apple ID.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Guess I never heard of it, because mine cannot be changed, but some can depending on what your original log in happened to be.

See here to make sure you actually changed the ID - link.

If you did successfully change your ID, on your iPhone open up Settings -
iTunes & App Stores -
highlight your user name -
hit the log out button and then log back in with the new one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Guess I never heard of it, because mine cannot be changed, but some can depending on what your original log in happened to be.

See here to make sure you actually changed the ID - link.

If you did successfully change your ID, on your iPhone open up Settings -
iTunes & App Stores -
highlight your user name -
hit the log out button and then log back in with the new one.

I had to change mine a couple years ago because my original Apple ID was not an email address. After you follow the steps in that link, be sure to sign out and back into iTunes and App Store on your Mac and iOS devices.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.