Possible to turn old tower pc into external hard drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 iMac, 3.5GHz Quad i7, 24GB RAM, GTX 780m, 10.8.5, iPhone6
Hello again wonderful people of Mac-forums!

while in my loft i came across my old tower pc complete with its two internal hard drives (Sata 3.5" 160gb + 250gb) as well as two other spare internal hard drives (one sata 3.5" 160gb and one IDE 3.5" also 160gb) i removed my two dvd drives and connected all the hard drives to the motherboard giving me a total of around 700gb.... i was wondering if it would be possible to use the pc as an external hard drive using its casing and power supplies? more for novelty value than anything else... i am aware that it would be easier to buy a few enclosures and make external hard drives from them but i like a challenge! i have googled around but all i can find on the 'topic' is a few people explaining how to remove the hard drive and buy a enclosure... not helpful really. any ideas anyone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I dont think so , you will need something to act as a SATA controller for the attached drives, and you already have the PC's motherboard to do that job

You would be better off using it as a storage server, I would use Linux to do that since its Unix based, free and can run just fine even on older hardware

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.