10.8.4 update still showing up under Software Updates?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
Hello there

A couple of days ago I read about the latest update for Mountain Lion, which is 10.8.4, but I couldn't find it under the App Store for some reason, so I decided to do some Googling and I found this:

Mac OS X 10.8.4 12E52 Beta Combo Update.pkg

It worked flawlessly and everything was fine until I was checking Software Updates today and I found 10.8.4? How come? Did I need to do it from the App Store rather than install the pkg? And if so, should I just reinstall it from the App Store in order to be able to receive future OS X updates, like 10.8.5, for instance?

Thank you

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Beta means that was a developers preview - that is not the final release version.

You do not need to download it from the App store, but you do need to install the released version, not a beta.

And you should never download any OS X update unless you are getting it direct from either the App store or Apple's own web site.

At this point, I would suggest you google "10.8.4 combo update" - make sure you are at Apple's site when you download it.
Would give you a link, but have no idea if the one from the U.S. server is the one you should/or be able to download there in Egypt

OP
Tarek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
Oh thank you so much. Believe it or not, I never actually noticed that it said Beta!

I am downloading it from the App Store as we speak.. I guess it's easier that way.

Thanks man, I appreciate your help.

C

chas_m

In future, PLEASE be more careful. Not only was that pirated software, but it could *very* easily have been disguised malware, since they often put a title on it of something people want badly -- secret iOS 7 beta, free pron viewer, etc -- to entice people to install it and give it their admin password.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.