Stuck on OS9 CD!

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to MacForums and I just recently found a bunch of my old Macintosh games in a CD case. I wanted to put them in my iBook G3 Clamshell, but they wouldn't work on it because it was running Mac OS X 10.3.9 and I didn't have Classic. I got a Mac OS 9.2 CD and put it in, but it wouldn't work as a Classic hard drive. :Grimmace: So, I used XPostFacto to boot off of the CD. But then, it booted off of the CD demo and it didn't let me install it on the hard drive. I restarted the laptop, but it booted up in the CD again! I took out the disk, but it just gave me a question mark folder like, "Where's the hard drive?" instead of booting in Mac OS X. What should I do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
To intall OS 9 the hard drive had to be set up enabling OS 9 drivers at the time of format. If this step was missed no install alas. And is the OS 9 CD a full retail install or one that came with a different computer? If the CD is okay a clean install of Panther may fix your problem.

OP
L
Reaction score
I don't really know. It says

"Mac OS 9 Featuring Sherlock 2
To start up from this CD, hold down the C key as the computer starts up.
Version 9.2.1
691-3334-A"

I got it off the internet. How can I tell if it's a full retail copy or not?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I believe the retail disc would be white and it does not say Update CD.

But, as harry noted above - you'll not be able to install OS 9 unless during the install of OS X you have it install the OS 9 drivers. If that was not done when you installed OS X, you will not be able to install OS 9.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This seems to be what you have and if so it if the ful version:-

Mac OS 9 2 1 Original Full Install CD RARE Free Shipping | eBay

However note that unless the OS 9 drivers were installed at the time of formatting for OS X, Classic will not install. You may well be up for a wipe of the drive and start anew installing OS 9 drivers by ticking the box.

OP
L
Reaction score
Could I use safe boot or something and start up in OSX? Is there a boot menu or anything? Because I'm kinda saving a reinstall of Mac OS X as a last resort.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pop in the OS X DVD and run Repair Disk from Utilities there and see what is reported for starters. You cannot repair a drive you are booting from.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Normally, if you hold down the Option key during the boot process, you will arrive at a screen that allows you to select the device to boot from. Once you get here, you should be able to reselect your existing OS X install and reboot it.

OP
L
Reaction score
Normally, if you hold down the Option key during the boot process, you will arrive at a screen that allows you to select the device to boot from. Once you get here, you should be able to reselect your existing OS X install and reboot it.

Thanks! It boots in OS X now!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I am the proud owner of several CDs from the OS9 era (and even OS8). I also own a VHS VCR and many cassettes. Speaking of cassettes, I also have many of the audio only variety, and the equipment to play them, alas, only in my house now, as the cars no longer have a cassette player. I also have many vinyl record albums and a turntable. My cell phone can call or text, but that's it. In addition, I have one analog TV. However, earlier this week, I upgraded my AT&T internet from 768kps DSL to 3MB broadband. Maybe there's hope for me yet. But I was forced into it, as they are phasing out my old service.

I think it's a conspiracy. But I refused to purchase a different entertainment center for the new LCD 42" TV. I modified it instead.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I've got one of those 9.2.1 CDs, wonder how much they really sell for

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.