voice recognition software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS X mountain lion 27-inch, Late 2009. Software OS X 10.8.4 Processor 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
I'm retired and now have more time to spend on my iMac. My typing skills are not that great and to keep my blog, engage in chat rooms and manage docs which are all updated as to what I show here: Microsoft 2008 for Mac Ver. 12.3.6. My iMac, which i believe I purchased in 2009 is the 27" model with 1terabyte memory.Software OS X 10.8.4 (12E55)
Processor 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Memory 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 I know that 4gig RAM by todays standard is low but so far it meets my needs, I can purchase and install so that I have a maximum of16GB, unless I can justify it i'm content with the speed I travel now.. What I'm in dire need of is a voice recognition software like Dragon, which seems to be the gold standard, or something equal to or better than. That is compatible with what I have, if need be as stated I can increase RAM to a max 16GB. Can anyone help:\

C

chas_m

You have Dictation built right into your Mac courtesy of Mountain Lion. Go to System Preferences, Diction & Speech, and turn it on. It should work in any Apple app, in fact I'm using it right now! It's not perfect, but it works incredibly well and save me a ton of typing.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I would try chas's suggestion first as it is built into the system. If you find that you need more features/control there's Dragon Dictate for Mac - Dragon Dictate speech recognition for Mac.

I've used it on my 2008 MacBook Pro with 4 GB of memory and it works reasonably well. There are occasional slowdowns if I get too many applications open. I've used it with several headset mics and had pretty good success.

OP
ers007
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS X mountain lion 27-inch, Late 2009. Software OS X 10.8.4 Processor 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
voice recognition hardware

Thanks for sharing. It will work for now. And will give me time to find what I really want. As you have to click done before seeing typing I ultimately would prefer real time. Thanks chase_m !! and all for your help. by the way when you click done is the mic still broadcasting
for now I will go back and turn off thanks again.:D

OP
ers007
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
By the way. I consider this done do I need to take any action

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
By the way. I consider this done do I need to take any action

Nope. Just hang around...and participate when you want.:)

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
As you have to click done before seeing typing again.:D

That's interesting. I did not realize that since I have not used this feature. BTW just for information Dictate for Mac does not wait for you to push OK. The text appears after little or no delay depending upon system speed.

For any future readers of this thread who don't know me the answer is no. I do not work for Nuance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.