• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

iOS 7 beta: Testers warned when using uncertified Lightning cables

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I think this is a good thing, to those that keep on going cheap and buying those Chinese 3rd party crap, at least they are being warned by Apple that it isn't certified. Don't get me wrong, Belkin and so on do make good gear, i have seen write ups of people getting a Tingle when they touch their MBP, and you wonder why ??
If you can afford $1000+ for a Mac, pay $49 for a proper Lightning Cable .. . . . . .. That is all..

Oh i did get this though when connected to my girls MBA

Trust me.jpg

Reaction score
I think this is a good thing, to those that keep on going cheap and buying those Chinese 3rd party crap, at least they are being warned by Apple that it isn't certified. Don't get me wrong, Belkin and so on do make good gear, i have seen write ups of people getting a Tingle when they touch their MBP, and you wonder why ??
If you can afford $1000+ for a Mac, pay $49 for a proper Lightning Cable .. . . . . .. That is all..

Oh i did get this though when connected to my girls MBA

I get a tingle from my MBP using a genuine apple power lead.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I get a tingle from my MBP using a genuine apple power lead.

Using a grounded connector to the brick?

Oh, and they embedded an authentication chip into the cable. This, as a consumer, really irritates me. It won't be long before they simply do not allow non-Apple branded cables to work... regardless of if they meet the engineering specification. Leaving you with drastically over priced, Chinese made (btw), cabling..

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I think this is a good thing, to those that keep on going cheap and buying those Chinese 3rd party crap, at least they are being warned by Apple that it isn't certified.
Why should my cable have to be certified to be useful? It's just a cable to connect a device. In fact, in the consumer space, this is the only instance I can think of in which consumers need to use "certified" cables (except for maybe power adapters). I can happily use my HTC micro USB cable to charge my Nexus 4 while my generic micro USB cable happily works to charge my Nexus 10.

Chinese third party cable? Guess where that cable is likely made and who makes it. ;)

Reaction score
Using a grounded connector to the brick?

Oh, and they embedded an authentication chip into the cable. This, as a consumer, really irritates me. It won't be long before they simply do not allow non-Apple branded cables to work... regardless of if they meet the engineering specification. Leaving you with drastically over priced, Chinese made (btw), cabling..

Well im in the UK everything is a 3 pin plug.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Does this have to do with that cable that could hack iOS? Linky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Chinese third party cable? Guess where that cable is likely made and who makes it. ;)

The cheap knock-offs then, and they are usually Chinese ??? No ? There are good Chinese cables that Apple have sourced BUT there are the bad too

Make your cable, get it certified by Apple, no problem, but if you can't make one good enough, good luck . . .. .

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.