Help with slow computer

Reaction score
After installing an 2nd drive in my iMac (Samsung 840 SSD) my computer has been much more sluggish. I have a quad core mid 2010 imac with 16gig of RAM, and before this is it was doing better than it is now. I moved all my sample libraries to the SSD and it works as far as fast upload times, but the computer is just running slow. Projects that used to run fine now spike the cpu and overload, and even doing simple things like typing can sometimes cause a drag. I took it into the apple store to get a hardware diagnostic done, and they say the only thing they found wrong was the LCD Temp cable was broke (which Ive ordered a new one and this does not effect speed) and that my harddrive failed an initial screen test but was most likely due to their being two drives. And I'd find it awfully coincidental that my harddrive would start failing right when I put an SSD in.

So basically I'm just trying to trouble shoot. I don't know if it's a hardware or software issue. I've run Onyx, MacKeeper, hardware diagnostics, so I'm starting to think 1 of 2 things; either I knocked something loose in the install and something is not physically right (I find this hard to believe), or the computer just doesn't like the SSD. Right now I'm in the process of redownloading my OS to install on the SSD, I'll boot from that and see if I have any issues to maybe narrow down the problem being with the HDD. OWC said that I could mail it into them and they'd look at it, but that will cost, so I'm trying to avoid that too.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them, composing is getting a little rough.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I've run Onyx, MacKeeper, hardware diagnostics...

First things first...GET RID OF MACKEEPER!!! We advise against MacKeeper all the time!

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not a lover of Samsung products, however, I have no experience with their SSD drives. But just as a quip here.... I would suspect the drive since things have slowed down after you installed it. Also, I believe your 2010 iMac uses a proprietary hard drive and cable for temperature sensing. I assume you accounted for that so that your hard drive fan does not go full RPM when you turn the machine on?

OP
S
Reaction score
It definitely has something to do with the drive. I did snap the LCD temp cable, so the CPU and Optical Drive are running at 4000 RPMs. Everyone keeps saying thats not causing the slowness, but I'm not convinced since it's the only indicator of anything changing post-install. The Harddrive is running at 1099, so it's ok.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I would go ahead and replace that cable first before deciding what to do with the Samsung SSD. If after replacing the cable, (and the fan speeds return to normal) you're still dealing with slowness, then, I would return the Samsung and get an OWC or Crucial SSD instead.

OP
S
Reaction score
After some other advice from other threads, I've uninstalled MacKeeper completely and repermissioned. Another possible thing that I have maybe missed was my external harddrives have been indexing, so Im going to let them properly index before I give it another whirl.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.