Cleaning up my Mac

Reaction score
I'm running OS 10.6.8 on a Mac Mini

I have so much junk and a ton of duplicates on my Mac and I need to clean things up and get rid of a lot of stuff.

I have "Spring Cleaning", "TuneupMyMac" and "Easyduplicatefinder" I have never run any of them.

Any problems with any of these? Is there a better program I should be aware of? Any thoughts on organizing things in general?

Any and all suggestions or comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Any problems with any of these? Is there a better program I should be aware of? Any thoughts on organizing things in general?

I have a problem with all three. ;) The only program we recommend for optimization and cleaning is OnyX which is free and can be downloaded from here. Make sure you download the version compatible with your version of OS X. Run OnyX in auto mode until you completely understand all its capabilities.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You'll not find many (if any) of the long time OS X users that will be using any of those apps.

If you want to remove stuff from the drive, suggest:
emptying the Trash
uninstalling apps you don't use
get rid of old documents you no longer need
moving pics, music, videos that you don't need on your local drive to a storage drive

All stuff that you personally have put on the drive and nothing to do with finding duplicates, or having some app messing with system files/folders that are better left alone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
If you really need to root out duplicate files, I can personally recommend Tidy Up!. It's not something I recommend for a novice. It has some really great options and can actually examine two files to see if they are dupes by looking at the metadata and even doing a bit-level comparison, if I'm not mistaken. It does not rely strictly on the filename. It will offer previews of its "hits" so you can make the final decision to axe a duplicate or look further. I used it to clean up a bunch of duplicated photos with differing names some time back and it works very well. Again, it's not for a novice and shouldn't be used recklessly. Standard precautions apply... make a backup beforehand!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.