Microsoft keyboard keeps disconnecting

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place to post. I have a Mac laptop. I just got a Microsoft bluetooth keyboard to use with it. It works fine. But every time it reconnects, it brings up the window that requires you to press 2 keys and then select the keyboard type. If I just close the box and don't do anything the keyboard still works. But whenever I turn it on, or if I don't use it for more than about 7 minutes at a time, it disconnects, and then I have to wait for it to come back on and then close the box again before it will work. How do I make it stop doing this? I can't find anything in the bluetooth settings that would be causing this. Help! It's incredibly annoying!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
What Macbook do you have? What version of OS X are you using? How many other Bluetooth devices do you have around the keyboard/Macbook? It sounds like an interference problem since it's reconnecting.

OP
H
Reaction score
I have a Macbook Pro, OS X 10.6.8. Snow Leopard. The only other bluetooth thing on is my Apple mouse.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does the Apple Mouse disconnect and reconnect as well? Does the MS keyboard stay connected to another computer with Bluetooth?

OP
H
Reaction score
The mouse does not disconnect. There's been a handful of times over the few years I've had the computer that it's disconnected momentarily, but that's it. The keyboard doesn't want to connect to another computer to test it. We have another Mac (a desktop) and it's not even finding the keyboard.

OP
H
Reaction score
Installed drivers. Still disconnecting. :-( WHat else can I try? Otherwise I'm going to have to return it...

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did the keyboard come with it's own USB dongle or was it expected to be connected over Bluetooth alone? The fact that it does connect means that it is OK with Bluetooth, and if the drivers don't fix it all up..not sure what else you can try..

OP
H
Reaction score
It's just bluetooth. It works fine other than the fact that it disconnects after it's not used for a little bit and then doesn't recognize it again. I don't knwo what to do with it... is it just this particular keyboard that's faulty, or woudl they all do the same thing?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.