Volume problems

Reaction score
Problem: no sound, volume control not working.
Work performed by Apple store: checked unit, no audio from internal speakers or headphone jack. Tested with good external speaker. Problem not resolved
Apple store recommendation: MLB replacement. Logic Board 2.8Ghz.
Cost: Philippine peso 48,100 = USD 1,117
This is shocking since my 13" laptop Pro was purchased in only Feb 2012. This is my very first Mac and thoroughly disappointing.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
All Apple products come with 1 year of AppleCare from the date of purchase. Did you by any chance extend that to 2 more years? If not, you were quoted the out of warranty price to fix your MBP.

If the audio was working fine for a long time and stopped, it'd be hard to prove/show a manufacturing defect that would be likely fixed by Apple at no cost to you. But having something fail over a year past purchase and even longer after manufacturing might indicate user fault..

The average price for a Logic Board replacement in the US is around $750-$800..unfortunately a large portion of the price of a new MBP..and if the MBP was old enough, people just move onto a new one, but yours is only 1 year old so it's quite a dilemma..

You might also want to contact any third party repair shops to see if they can do the Logic Board replacement for cheaper than what Apple has quoted you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
All Apple products come with 1 year of AppleCare from the date of purchase. Did you by any chance extend that to 2 more years?

Yep. Always buy the extended warranty, especially for a laptop. It's a machine. Machines break. Sorry it happened to you. However, I bet someone can provide statistics indicating that Apple computers are more reliable than most other brands. You are unfortunately one of very few that this has happened to, relatively speaking.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for responses and suggestions - unfortunately, I did not extend the warranty beyond the 12 months - an expensive mistake as it happens.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Who knows how good the Apple techs are there.

Try a SMC reset -- link.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Thanks for responses and suggestions - unfortunately, I did not extend the warranty beyond the 12 months - an expensive mistake as it happens.

Ahh, yes...it's just a level of security for 3 years and after that you can decide to either part it out, sell as is or repair based on what's broken and you know something newer/cooler is out for you to upgrade to..

So, do seek out other repair shops and see what they say. Apple is definitely going to come in at a higher price.

Alternatively, you could also explore doing the work yourself using the iFixIt guides if you can find the Logic Board at a decent price and you are so inclined..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.